Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: How do you get 3-Phase power to a residential workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Not to belabor the point, but Baldor does list a 15hp/230V/1ph motor in their online catalog. No idea if they have ever actually built one.
    I saw that, but I really have no great desire to install that heavy a motor, and, for whatever reason, Felder doesn't offer 7.5HP 1PH motors on those units.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Does anyone have info regarding the Huanyang vfds and if they have improved? Over at the Practical Machinist forum which gets into some pretty detailed and complicated electrics, the Huanyang vfds are prohibited from discussions because the moderators believe them to be so poorly built. No first hand knowledge, just wondering. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Does anyone have info regarding the Huanyang vfds and if they have improved? Over at the Practical Machinist forum which gets into some pretty detailed and complicated electrics, the Huanyang vfds are prohibited from discussions because the moderators believe them to be so poorly built. No first hand knowledge, just wondering. Dave
    there position is they are not there support
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    And I have yet to see a euro motor with a diagram under the doghouse cover explaining what taps to use to switch voltages. It's infuriating. Blowing stuff up is only fun when intentional.
    I thinking a diagram would be no help to you not every thing can be fixed with a screw driver. Dave may like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4BDBSf9wsU
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 09-27-2017 at 10:23 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Id post for Huynang vfd support on cnc zone and other diy cnc sites. There are far more cnc machines running chinese vfds than any old ww machines for sure and they are doing darn more sophisticated setups with them. Modbus controls and plc interactions and variable speed ramping models. This is not drive grand dads clausing or aircraft carrier sized jointer to show your poker buddies with only the buttons on the vfd face or maybe a switch lol. They can hate all they want but guarentee those Huynang powered spindles on the cnc machines that are being used are clocking 50x more hours than on the owwm those guys are collecting.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Id post for Huynang vfd support on cnc zone and other diy cnc sites. There are far more cnc machines running chinese vfds than any old ww machines for sure and they are doing darn more sophisticated setups with them. Modbus controls and plc interactions and variable speed ramping models. This is not drive grand dads clausing or aircraft carrier sized jointer to show your poker buddies with only the buttons on the vfd face or maybe a switch lol. They can hate all they want but guarentee those Huynang powered spindles on the cnc machines that are being used are clocking 50x more hours than on the owwm those guys are collecting.
    Those drives are garbage even for programming a few bucks more you get some really good stuff . Most modern drives will go up to 600 Hrz and you can buy the spindles from China for dirt cheap . Controls are not so much on the VFD on CNC as they are on the table servos . They all come with plc . A dumb elevator runs on PLC
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    Those drives are garbage even for programming a few bucks more you get some really good stuff . Most modern drives will go up to 600 Hrz and you can buy the spindles from China for dirt cheap . Controls are not so much on the VFD on CNC as they are on the table servos . They all come with plc . A dumb elevator runs on PLC
    They are cheap and they work great for someone that just needs to run a 3 phase motor from single phase. Installed many of them for customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I saw that, but I really have no great desire to install that heavy a motor, and, for whatever reason, Felder doesn't offer 7.5HP 1PH motors on those units.
    My apologies, I wasn't advocating the use of 15Hp on your proposed tool stable. I was just curious about someone's comment and looked to see what was largest horsepower motor offered in 230V/1ph.

(I forget sometimes that my schitzo thought processes are not immediately apparent to the outside world. Welcome to the Twilight Zoonnn .... er, SHOP. Yeah. Twilight SHOP.)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I get that. But isn't the amperage capacity of a given piece of wire the same regardless of voltage? You get more power with 10 amps on 480v than 110, but it's still 10amps?
    the 480 will burn a hole through the insulation on the 110 rated wire, even if the copper is correctly sized for the current.

I haven't gotten an exact quote from the power company, but today they told me that it may be possible to get 3-phase, but it will likely be VERY expensive, so likely a no-go.

BTW, would it matter to the Felder machines if it was 208V 3-phase or 240V 3-phase? It appears that Duke Energy would only provide 208V 3-phase here (if I am reading their information correctly).
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    the 480 will burn a hole through the insulation on the 110 rated wire, even if the copper is correctly sized for the current.
    with the exception of SJ cord which is only rated for 300 volts, virtually all of the wire (THHN/THWN, XHHW, etc.), cord (SO, SOW, SOOE, etc.) and cable (NM-B, AC, MC) used today is rated for 600 volts.

12. I gotta wonder - at what point would it be cheaper to buy a used (or even new) 3-phase natural gas or propane generator and just run that when you are in your shop?

You guys are all laser-focused on treating this as an electrical-only situation when there are other ways to solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by William Shelley View Post
    I gotta wonder - at what point would it be cheaper to buy a used (or even new) 3-phase natural gas or propane generator and just run that when you are in your shop?

You guys are all laser-focused on treating this as an electrical-only situation when there are other ways to solve it.
    ...or a water wheel?! With the big master shaft run down the ceiling, and the long leather belts on PTOs to the Felders!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shelley View Post
    I gotta wonder - at what point would it be cheaper to buy a used (or even new) 3-phase natural gas or propane generator and just run that when you are in your shop?

That is an utterly fascinating idea, but the neighbors would likely get pretty upset at the noise of the generator. I'm going to very great lengths to prevent noise outside the workshop.

The little stream on the properly could potentially power a 0.01HP motor. On occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    But, my original question was is amperage amperage regardless of voltage? Insulation rating is a separate factor.