Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power interruptions

In Minnesota they talk about underground distribution every time a big storm causes widespread power outages. The main power company says it would cost hundreds of millions to bury all the lines plus maintenance costs are higher. A few million dollars once or twice a year to repair storm damage is a lot less money than putting everything underground.

My house was built in 1980 and everything in the neighborhood is underground. New developments have all underground power.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    In Minnesota they talk about underground distribution every time a big storm causes widespread power outages. The main power company says it would cost hundreds of millions to bury all the lines plus maintenance costs are higher. A few million dollars once or twice a year to repair storm damage is a lot less money than putting everything underground.

My house was built in 1980 and everything in the neighborhood is underground. New developments have all underground power.
    The cost to bury power lines would be significantly cheaper for new construction than to retrofit an existing neighborhood.

Steve

Blog Entries
    I would think that most utilities require a developer to install, or pay for installation, of underground utilities. The cost is simply passed onto the first home buyer.
    NOW you tell me...

I tore down a house that had overhead power lines. The electric utility actually installed another pole and ran the power underground to the new house at no charge. I was assuming it would be overhead since the old house was overhead and the rest of the neighborhood is overhead.

Developers probably want utilities underground even if the utility company would do overhead. Developments look a lot nicer without power poles and wires all over.