Thread: Sanding curves on 6" thick corbels

Sanding curves on 6" thick corbels

I am making corbels for a mantle and have hit a small roadblock. I need to sand the curved face "to the line" and I'm not sure how to approach this. The corbels are 6" thick. I have an oscillating spindle/belt sander but the stock is too big to use this effectively (in my opinion). I thought about using a sanding belt on my bandsaw but have never used one. How well do they work? I would think they would tend to round corners. What other way could I approach this to get both corbels uniform?

Easiest would be to see if anyone around you has a 9" spindle sander you could use. I have one but not knowing were you are it may or may not be a viable option
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I'm in Calif and have a Clayton oscillating sander that you could use, or just take it to a cabinet shop - I doubt it would costs much.

Short of finding the shop with the tall bobbin Sander you could buy yourself one of the handheld pneumatics .
    https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D459...ding=UTF8&s=hi.

you could also just buy The drum sleeves and make something for the drill press in wood with a threaded rod . You could even just contact cement standard sandpaper to a wooden drum made on drill press or a lathe for only two units .it'll be fine for that little bit of work
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 09-22-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Doug - Are you within driving distance of a major city ? Post or PM a more accurate location, may have an idea for you.

Also, even though I understand what you are doing, a posted photo or two of the piece may help. Marc

Top bearing pattern routerbit.

On a plain (as yet unornamented) surface I use 36 grit sand paper backed by a thin piece of wood or thick piece of vinyl.
    Then it's easy and fast to run through the finer grits.

A spindle sander, max, state, etc. I have 4, I think.

I bought one of these when I had to make what you are describing
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0015B9G0S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506163770&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=rigid+spindle&dp Pl=1&dpID=51d1ULsDONL&ref=plSrch
    Bob C

Welcome Doug!

In my shop, I'd use rasps to get close and then sand by hand. But there's nothing wrong with going to a cabinet shop, as someone else suggests.

Hope you'll post a few pictures when it's done.

Good luck!
    Fred