Thread: Top coating bm advance

Top coating bm advance

I have sprayed a dining room table and chairs with BM Advance in a white color of my wife's choosing. Used a Fugi 4 system and the results are quite good. (Needed to thin about 20%) My question is, should I top coat the table top with something to make it more durable and stain resistant etc? What product would you suggest using and also it must not yellow the present color. I would prefer a WB based product, but not mandatory.The table has had several months of dry time. Thanks

I haven't got a recommendation but am interested in this as well. I'm thinking of trying GF's Enduro Clear Poly because it's pretty durable and won't yellow, but I'm interested in seeing what others have actually done. FWIW, BM Advance is pretty durable all by itself.

John

I had a few trim pieces left over from a job I did with BM Advance about a year ago. So I took one, scuff sanded it with 320 grit, and applied a coat of GF's Enduro Clear Poly. 24 hours later it was well bonded; can't be scraped off with a finger nail. I have yet to try it over Advance that has only cured for a week or so, but I'm encouraged so far.

John

My local BM dealer discouraged the use of a topcoat over Advance Patric if it was white. Said he had seen too much bluing with waterborne finishes. Also he felt that Advance is sufficiently hard as to not need further protection. But he did stress the need to wait several weeks for complete curing if a topcoat were to be used. Nice to know that GF clear poly is a good product to use for this application.. Are there any other WB products that apply clear without yellowing?

Advance is a pretty durable product...remember, it's an Alkyd paint that just uses the water as a carrier. Truly "water borne". I suspect that proper application of two-three coats is going to be pretty good over time. With white, it's good to be concerned about yellowing for any top-coat, so John's idea may have merit if you want to proceed that way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A colleague of mine used GF's High Performance Poly over BM Advance and reported no problems with bonding. It has a UV stabilizer package in it, too, so it won't yellow over time. However, it's not nearly as chemically durable as Enduro Clear Poly. Clear Poly does not have that UV package in it, but doesn't appear to need it. I've been using it for about 4 years now and have not seen any evidence of yellowing on those older pieces. And it dries dead clear, no bluish tint at all.

SW's Kem Aqua Plus may be another candidate to consider, although I don't find it nearly as hard as either of the above two products. But it does have a UV package in it and is KCMA rated, so it's durability should be very good. Target Coatings, Lenmark, and others likely make similar products. I think nearly any KCMA rated WB acrylic product is likely to work.

John

The biggest complaint I have with Advance is it takes forever to really cure. A month is just getting started, three or four is more like it. And until it fully cures it's not very durable against scratches from dragging a plate over it, for example.
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 09-25-2017 at 4:33 PM.

Very interested in this thread. My understanding is that being alkyd based (dispersed in water) it is vulnerable to yellowing under certain circumstances. Counterintuitively (for me) the yellowing process is accelerated in dark rooms or those lacking natural sunlight. So I'm curious what happens when topcoating an alkyd (like Advance) with a UV stabilizing poly.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

BM Advance takes a good 30 days to fully cure. I won't paint with it anymore because of the humidity down here and the extreme measures I have to take to move a cabinet/door after finished. But, to answer your question. BenWood's clear acrylic poly is non yellowing and extremely durable. I've top coated stair treads with it with great results. I've used it to top coat Advance after glazing.

I also prefer to wet sand BM Advance in between coats. It's a little extreme, but the results are amazing after 3 coats. I use these sponges. I had some X-Fine also, but the Fine work a little faster with less pressure.
    -Lud

This is a first to me, the idea of wetsanding a acrylic paint. Will give It a try sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    This is a first to me, the idea of wetsanding a acrylic paint. Will give It a try sometime.
    BM Advance isn't an acrylic...it's an alkyd paint emulsified in a water carrier. IE, more or less an oil based paint once the water evaporates.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I tried it on a whim getting rid of a sag. Worked so well I tried wet sanding between coats and the results were great. Takes a lot of rags, but if you rinse them well they are reusable.
    -Lud