Thread: S & P mills finish

Question S & P mills finish

What finish do you folks prefer for salt and pepper mill sets? The pepper mill will be walnut and if the finish darkens it so much the better. The salt mill will be maple;
    tiger if I can find a nice piece without donating body parts. I'm thinking tung oil for both but I'm concerned about darkening the maple too much.
    What say you ?

tia,
    Jim
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

I started just to put "Lacquer." and got an error message that the text had to be 10 characters. Everything else here is just filler so that the error message will clear. Anyway...

Lacquer.

I use general finishes wood turners finish because you are able to put multiple coats on in minutes with a heat gun. I also have used wipe on poly and waterlox, but I prefer WTF

Wipe On Poly but am open to suggestions. Love to hear what others have to say.

Minwax Wipe-On Poly. - John

Wipe-on-poly in the lead. (That's a good thing since I have some here already.)
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

I prefer waterlox, lacquer will not stand up kitchen use. I also pour lacquer in the inside before I separate top from bottom. just pour it in let set for two minutes and pour back out, let dry.

I make a lot of mills and go between six coats of lacquer or two coats of spray poly. With three coats of wax after each. They both look great and both wear very good. I go for a gloss finish because it sells. Mills get a work out and the finish needs to hold up. I have not used an oil.
    Cheers