Thread: Wood for kitchen cabinet door/drawer faces?

Blog Entries

Wood for kitchen cabinet door/drawer faces?

Hi everyone,

Our kitchen consists of mainly base cabinets and only two on the wall by the sink. I took off all the doors and decided to build large drawers on all the base cabinets. I think it is much more functional and i have seen it online recently.

Was looking for some opinions on a couple of things:

#1) My original thought was to paint the cabinet doors/drawers the same color as the trim. I was concerned our house would have 'too much wood' (our entire house has wood floors. We both enjoy flat doors/drawers. here is an example.
    modern.jpg

#2) Now i am thinking about doing the base cabinets and all panels in wood... Should the cabinets match the floors?
    kitchen_wood.jpg

#3) if we do go with wood. What kind of wood should i be working with? Veneer'd plywood? I assume not solid white oak due to expansion/contraction?
    We have white oak floors with Rubio Monocoat 'natural' finish. Should I use the same finish on our kitchen cabinets/panels?

Here is a picture of our kitchen. sorry for the awful quality and mess around it (we are living in the basement)
    kitchen2.jpgkitchen1.jpgkitchen3.jpgkitchen4.jpg

You are asking questions only you can answer. Kitchen cabinet doors/drawers can be made with plywood, MDF, Melamine, solid wood, nearly anything. Natural finish, paint - anything is fair game. Match the floor, contrast with the floor - both are valid. You may get more specific responses, but only you can decide what best fits your needs, style, etc.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    You are asking questions only you can answer. Kitchen cabinet doors/drawers can be made with plywood, MDF, Melamine, solid wood, nearly anything. Natural finish, paint - anything is fair game. Match the floor, contrast with the floor - both are valid. You may get more specific responses, but only you can decide what best fits your needs, style, etc.

John
    Thank you.

After writing that out. My more specific question is:
    If we go with white oak. Would Rubio Monocoat Natural Finish 2C look the same on plywood as it would on solid white oak.
    My concern with solid white oak is the expansion.

Agree with John. The cabinets and floor should not match.

It is doubtful any finish will look exactly the same on plywood as solid wood. You will likely have to adjust the finishing schedule to get them to match. How you may have to adjust it is hard to say w/o looking at both products and first trying your proposed finish on specimens of each. You are right to be concerned about the expansion/contraction of solid white oak. This is one reason it's often used in the quarter or rift sawn orientation, and why frame and panel doors were developed. I would not use slabs of solid white oak. If I wanted the look shown in your first two photos I would make shop sawn veneer and glue it onto MDF edged first with 1/2" wide strips of solid wood; looks exactly like solid wood but is very flat and very stable.

John

Blog Entries
    I greatly prefer modern interiors, so I prefer the appearance of the second option. That said, I don't think the second option fits that kitchen, it seems to be mostly traditional appearing, nor do I really think the first option fits unless you are complete remodeling the house to coincide.

There are times when contrasting interiors are very awesome, but I think this does not contrast correctly.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-19-2017 at 10:15 PM. Reason: revised per request of Brian
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I greatly prefer modern interiors, so I prefer the appearance of the second option. That said, I don't think the second option fits that kitchen, it seems to be mostly traditional appearing, nor do I really think the first option fits unless you are complete remodeling the house to coincide.

There are times when contrasting interiors are very awesome, but I think this does not contrast correctly.
    Hi Brian.
    the house is contemporary 90s but we have rehabbed it to create a more modern atmosphere.
    diched the raised hearths. Green onyx with grey slate in master bath, 5'x10' (yes feet) tile throughout bathrooms in the house, linear drain, floating vanities, stainless balusters with flat white oak railing.
    The only thing that is not modern are the plantation shutters and crown molding. But I think it will contrast well when everything is finished.

the foyer is pretty modern as well with a large half circle on one side
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-19-2017 at 10:15 PM.

With the cabinets and floor same color you are connecting the neccesarily clean with the usually unsanitary. It is entirely possible you could serve a friend a waffle on a plate from a cabinet as he is noticing a waffle shoe print on the floor. That's never good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    With the cabinets and floor same color you are connecting the neccesarily clean with the usually unsanitary. It is entirely possible you could serve a friend a waffle on a plate from a cabinet as he is noticing a waffle shoe print on the floor. That's never good.
    i can understand that.
    however i really do love this
    kitchen_wood.jpg

Blog Entries
    Sounds nice, I would build what you want so long as it is cohesive with your plan which I'm glad to hear that you have formulated.

You might consider changing the facade around the counter to fit with this aesthetic, board and batten is traditional looking.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Sounds nice, I would build what you want so long as it is cohesive with your plan which I'm glad to hear that you have formulated.

You might consider changing the facade around the counter to fit with this aesthetic, board and batten is traditional looking.
    oh yes! Going to make that flat as well.

I would go with option #1. I think white cabinetry goes quite well with wood floors of any kind.

In this case poplar and maple are the best choices. If you decide to go this route, I would definitely spray them.

It would be worthwhile checking with a cabinet shop you may find the cost of just having the drawer fronts and doors painted isn't worth the trouble for you.