Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons learned from taking a direct hit by a Cat 5 Hurricane- ground zero, USVI

Blog Entries
    Be safe friend!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Thoughts and prayers are with you Malcolm.
    Fred

Report yesterday was ominous. I am hoping for the best for you and your family Malcolm. Radar shows the majority of the storm may be past you now.

Blog Entries
    Hope you and your family are ok Malcolm.

Prayers and good thoughts heading your way.

PHM

Keeping you, your family and neighbors in my thoughts and prayers Malcolm.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Waiting to hear is hard. Not as hard as being there.

While the eye passed a bit south and west of St. Thomas and St. John, they got quite enough, thanks so much, and are still getting a good bit of wind and rain on the back side. While it may not have been the worst of Maria, there's a lot of things that have been "jury rigged" after Irma and may not have gotten up to gold standards before this bite. It may not be as bad as right after Irma, but it's not going to be a walk on the beach.

Saw a bit of St. Thomas video from last night. Hard to tell much, but it looked plenty rough. Haven't seen anything since dawn. Some video was getting out of St. Croix, from the NOAA wx service facility there. Shot though windows from (I think) wx channel guys hunkered down inside; didn't show a whole lot but what they did show looked ominous.

Maybe it will turn out better than those video reports suggest. Hope so.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    I am safe. The many replies and well-wishes are much appreciated. Puerto Rico and St. Croix got hammered. Our airport in STT further damaged. We have not been able to fly passengers since Irma. Now it will be much longer for repairs. The rain is like no other storm I have ever seen. It just won't stop raining, and so many with damaged roofs. It is truly a worst-case scenario. This will be very bad for Turks and Caicos. Pray for my friends there. This is a slow moving storm- 10 mph as it passed me. It was almost worse than Irma due to the rain and slow movement.

We had phone and net through the storm but lost it in the morning. Only just now got it back. Heard from my friends in San Juan during storm but they lost power and fell so no word since. You won't hear from me probably for a bit. Thanks again for the well-wishes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for letting us know Malcolm. Glad to hear you're safe.

PHM

Thanks for the update, Malcolm...thoughts are there.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Malcolm. I'm glad you are okay. I have friends and colleagues on Puerto Rico. I haven't heard anything yet.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

Big relief!
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Thanks Malcolm. I'm glad you are okay. I have friends and colleagues on Puerto Rico. I haven't heard anything yet.

Don't panic. We have over 100 employees unaccounted for in PR, but it is mainly due to the communication and power outages. Here locally we have been without power since Irma and cell is very spotty. Gradually our PR folks are checking in all OK. It was weeks before I confirmed friends in St. John were OK.

13. Hope things are improving, however slowly. Logistics seem to still be a big problem.

News reports here are mostly PR. "Oh, and things are still pretty bad in the USVI, too." The media have moved on, you've become an afterthought, so we don't get much to go on with how you and your family might be doing. We all hope the relief effort is more sustained than the press interest.

Glad to hear from you. Looking forward to a more substantive report (and more good lessons) when it's convenient for you.
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Hope things are improving, however slowly. Logistics seem to still be a big problem.

News reports here are mostly PR. "Oh, and things are still pretty bad in the USVI, too." The media have moved on, you've become an afterthought, so we don't get much to go on with how you and your family might be doing. We all hope the relief effort is more sustained than the press interest.

Glad to hear from you. Looking forward to a more substantive report (and more good lessons) when it's convenient for you.
    Lines are 50 deep at the stores. I showed up an hour early and I'm about number 15 in line at a price smart. Gotta conserve battery right now but will post some updates. Governor says 80% power restored by Christmas. That's a stretch goal. I'm actually adapting well to not having power. It's the long lines that are killing me. It takes hours to get one needed item. We are out of diesel on island and rationing gas. Here is a lesson- consider a propane or dual fuel generator over gas or diesel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Don't panic. We have over 100 employees unaccounted for in PR, but it is mainly due to the communication and power outages. Here locally we have been without power since Irma and cell is very spotty. Gradually our PR folks are checking in all OK. It was weeks before I confirmed friends in St. John were OK.
    Glad to hear from you. Please manage through this troubled time.

Our company is tracking down each of our over 2,000 employees in Puerto Rico to validate their safety and provide support. So far, so good. Our plants have generators and are bunkered against hurricanes for just such an event.

Stay safe!
    Shawn