Thread: Iris on Applewood

Iris on Applewood

Hi everyone,
    I don't post much, but wanted to share this piece with everyone.
    My niece's husband asked me to make it for his wife for their anniversary.
    It is a piece of applewood 7 1/4" H X 6"W. I hollow to approx. 1/8" thickness.
    There is no finish on it yet. Wanted to take some pictures before applying a lacquer finish.
    The drawing is done with colored pencils and the sheen is caused by the fixative I used over the drawing before putting the final finish on the piece.
    Enjoy!iris vase dwg11_cr.jpgiris vase dwg19_cr.jpgiris vase dwg26_cr.jpgiris vase dwg27_cr.jpgiris vase dwg28_cr.jpg

nicely done!

Beautiful!!

Lovely!.....

That is really nice. I like the colors, they pop out for my eyes. Please post another picture when you have the lacquer on it.

Nicely done Gary. Coloring and artwork are outstanding.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

That is an incredible piece at this point. The turning, carving, wood grain and pattern, and then the artwork all seem to really go well together. Be sure and post the final.

Excellent work! Great sense of form, proportions combined with some fantastic artwork. This is a quality example of fine art.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sichmeller View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I don't post much, but wanted to share this piece with everyone.
    My niece's husband asked me to make it for his wife for their anniversary.
    It is a piece of applewood 7 1/4" H X 6"W. I hollow to approx. 1/8" thickness.
    There is no finish on it yet. Wanted to take some pictures before applying a lacquer finish.
    The drawing is done with colored pencils and the sheen is caused by the fixative I used over the drawing before putting the final finish on the piece.
    Enjoy!iris vase dwg11_cr.jpgiris vase dwg19_cr.jpgiris vase dwg26_cr.jpgiris vase dwg27_cr.jpgiris vase dwg28_cr.jpg

HEllo You mention using a fixative before the final finish. Could you please tell me what that is? I have used prismacolor markers and the finish I put on, minwax antique oil always seems to bleed some of the color out of my artwork. Maybe some sort of fixative would take care of that. Thanks Jared

Thanks for all the great compliments from everyone! I cannot receive a greater feeling than to receive this kind of acknowledgement from my fellow woodturners.
    I will make sure I post a picture with the final finish of lacquer. Can't say how well the picture may turn out. I have a harder time taking pictures of shiny surfaces without the glare. That's why I took pictures before applying the final finish.
    In response to Mr. Herberts question, I use Krylon workable fixative that you can obtain from places like Michaels. I use prismacolor colored pencils, which are wax based. The fixative is applied to keep the wax from "blooming" and to seal the surface so it can be handled without fear of smearing before I apply the final finish. I'm not sure what the working ingredients are, but it acts very much like a lacquer. I only apply a light coat before I apply a lacquer finish. I have done this with multiple pieces and have had great success with the process. I have not tried any other finish over the fixative, so do not know how it would react otherwise.

Very nice art work and turning Gary! Beautiful indeed. Great job!

It took awhile, but some of you asked me to post pictures with the final finish. Here they are, just rattle can lacquer. Semi-gloss finish. I put, what I call, a medallion piercing on the opposite side from the drawings. Didn't show this in previous posting.
    Enjoy!
    iris vase dwg41_cr.jpgiris vase dwg37_cr.jpgiris vase dwg38_cr.jpgiris vase dwg39_cr.jpg