Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Maple Inventory, next project?

Ok, now?
    IMG_2020 (640x480).jpg
    Had to get out a "new" candle, wore the old out. After each groove was ploughed, decided to try something...different.
    IMG_2021 (640x480).jpg
    I ran the 60-1/2 along, to do a slight bevel, on both corners of the groove, Seems to help the raised panel sit in the groove better..
    IMG_2022 (640x480).jpg
    Got four rails done, now the fun part..
    IMG_2023 (640x480).jpg
    Had to make sure the outside part of the jig cleared the bottom of the fence on the Stanley #45, yet still helped to hold the stile in place. Marks from that screw will not be seen. Then a few swipes with the block plane, again. Finally got all 8 parts grooved
    IMG_2025 (640x480).jpg
    Was I done for the day? Nope, decided to try some tenons..
    IMG_2026 (640x480).jpg
    Laid out for a tenon, Mitre saw to cut the shoulder cuts..
    IMG_2027 (640x480).jpg
    Bandsaw to make the cheek cuts.....
    IMG_2028 (640x480).jpg
    Reset the mortise jig....and then called it an afternoon....lunchtime! Might meander back to the shop, later....and chop a few mortises...would like to get at least one end panel glued up
    May have to work on a Monday, otherwise......stay tuned

One small bit of advise, I highly recommend getting all your parts of a frame and panel glue up completely finish planed perfectly smooth and at the very least put a few coats of finish on the panel. This helps with seeing unfinished parts expose themselves with seasonal movements of the panel. It also can help keep any glue from bonding to the panel during glue-up, which is detrimental as it will potentially crack from having nowhere to move to. Don't ask how I know these things, I have learned the hard way.

One last piece of advise... When planing your curly maple I would set your chipbreaker as close to the edge as you can get it to prevent the tear-out.

All my smoother type of planes, have the CB 1 mm back from the edge...always have.

Mortises have been chopped. Tenons were judged to be too long, shortened by 1/8" seemed to work just fine. End panel is now sitting in the clamps for the night...

Finish will be two coats of Amber Shellac....then a top coat. Same schedule as the chest of drawers project.

Pictures? Well, being a Monday.....not much will get done..
    IMG_2030 (640x480).jpg
    Have since removed the clamps....and remade a jig..
    IMG_2031 (640x480).jpg
    Test drive to make sure it works. Paul Sellers loves his No. 4 planes...
    IMG_2032 (640x480).jpg
    The two Stanleys I have been using.....I do have "back-ups" available
    IMG_2033 (640x480).jpg
    Just in case....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Have since removed the clamps....and remade a jig..
    IMG_2031 (640x480).jpg
    Test drive to make sure it works. Paul Sellers loves his No. 4 planes...
    IMG_2032 (640x480).jpg
    What is this jig used for steven?

One more question: You make a bevel all the way along each edge to make your raised panel, but you don't plane in a 'flat section' to engage the groove. This seems to be a potential problem. Either the panel is going to swell and the leverage is going to crack your frames or the panels are going to shrink and become very loose. How do you plan the seasonal movement into these panels and grooves? Are you OK with them being loose?

Haven't had a problems.....in over 30 years...

Haven't had a problems.....in over 30 years...
    So, do you go for a fit that is snug to begin with or a bit loose?

Remember, I work IN a cellar, where the Laundry Room is......I build snug as I can......then let things shrink IF they want...
    SDC12229.jpg
    Made over twenty years ago, was made from the floor boards of a One Room School House that was being torn down. Still going strong.

Remember, I work IN a cellar, where the Laundry Room is......I build snug as I can......then let things shrink IF they want...
    SDC12229.jpg
    Made over twenty years ago, was made from the floor boards of a One Room School House that was being torn down. Still going strong.
    The panels on your new (20 yr old) example look different regarding the panel fit to the groove. Of course I can't see the detail very clearly.

Regardless, do you find the panels fit much differently between July and January?

Nope. Panels were done with a Tablesaw, back then.....out in a drafty, old Pole Barn. Like using handplanes better.

Been using a blockplane to ease the edges of the grooves...
    champfered.jpg
    Something like this.....allows the panel to settle into the bottom of the grooves better...
    panel fitted.jpg
    Doesn't take all that long to do, either. Would be nice if there was a cutter that could do the groove and bevel the corners all at once...Maybe Derek could "design" one?

I suppose, today being Tuesday...I should go to the shop.....maybe after lunch? Have one more raised panel to do, and a few tenons and mortises to cobble up.

Debate is now on how to join the corners.....T&G again.....or, drill a bunch of counter-bored holes, and use screws and glue, then cut a bunch of Walnut plugs....we'll see.

Stay tuned...you too, Pat.

I suppose, today being Tuesday...I should go to the shop.....maybe after lunch? Have one more raised panel to do, and a few tenons and mortises to cobble up.

Debate is now on how to join the corners.....T&G again.....or, drill a bunch of counter-bored holes, and use screws and glue, then cut a bunch of Walnut plugs....we'll see.

Stay tuned...you too, Pat.
    Hey, I'm always tuned in

Well, and wee bit of work did get done , , today.....Sitting here, enjoying an "Orchard's Edge Knotty Pear" to cool down...might take two..
    IMG_2037 (640x480).jpg
    Stanley No. 4c, type 20, set coarse. to hog off to a line..
    IMG_2040 (640x480).jpg
    Get to about here...and the Type 9 No. 4 can take over...
    IMG_2038 (640x480).jpg
    Bout the same all the way around. Here a back bevel is being made..
    IMG_2035 (640x480).jpg
    Test fitted....
    IMG_2041 (640x480).jpg
    Panel's "field" was smooth planed....then the tenons were milled, and the mortises chopped......about time to spread some glue?
    IMG_2043 (640x480).jpg
    4 clamps......
    IMG_2042 (640x480).jpg
    Sooo, done for the day @ 2:30 in the afternoon? We'll see. Depends on how I will join the corners.....may have to set up that plough plane, again....

About time for a second brown bottle?

Got all four sides arranged for a dry fit of sorts..
    IMG_2044 (640x480).jpg
    Normal luck...end panel in the back is backwards....no biggie....will rotate it back around.
    IMG_2045 (640x480).jpg
    IF anyone wants the sizes, let me know....
    Need to set these up for a little T&G action...I use that to help align the parts during glue-ups. Will need to reset the Plough Plane to do Match work..