Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Maple Inventory, next project?

There was also one made from Oak..
    toy chest.jpg
    Which has since been replaced by a 5 drawer chest of drawers...
    dresser.JPG
    This being a Monday, shop was closed....I stopped at menard's on the way back from the Doctor's office, and bought a 1 x 4 x 8' stick of Maple.....that turned out to be Birdseye Maple...letting that $14 piece of lumber sit awhile. I worked on some chisels, and got a block plane sharpened up..
    IMG_1938.jpg
    In order to give the Stanley 60-1/2 a break. Other plane is a Millers Falls No.56B. Twins?

Chisels were tuned up..
    chisels.jpg
    Old and new ones. Maybe Tuesday, I can get back to woodworking....

Steven; being old school, I guessing you didn't waste your time flattening the full length of back on those chisels.

Stewie;

IMG_1944 (640x480).jpg
    Nope.....only halfway,,,,

OK, got the chisels all put away...need to get back to raising panels....have one done, need 5 more made up. Might meander down to the shop, after Lunch.

May get to use a couple "new" chisels....tenon work, and a bit of mortise work....we'll see...

Was NOT a "nice day" in the shop....walked down the steps to find..
    IMG_1950 (640x480).jpg
    That this morning's little rain storm left a calling card....
    IMG_1953 (640x480).jpg
    Raised panel #2....at least it was fitting at this end..
    IMG_1957 (640x480).jpg
    Something wasn't coming out right, on the first dry fit...set the length of the rails....NEW rails, I had cut the others wrong....may have another use for those...
    IMG_1958 (640x480).jpg
    Mitre Box to do a bit of tenon work....
    IMG_1959 (640x480).jpg
    Bandsaw to complete the cuts. Got out the Stanley 45..
    IMG_1960 (640x480).jpg
    And was feeling kind of groovy....
    IMG_1961 (640x480).jpg
    Started to chop a few mortises...and a dry fit..
    IMG_1962 (640x480).jpg
    But, things weren't fitting just right......had to go back, and resize the panels...and re-do the bevels.....seems they were out of square....grrrrr

Finally got the parts to go together close to what I was looking for... called it a day. Needs two more mortises chopped, and then some glue. Maybe tomorrow? Need to size the next two panels to match these two. might help, at least to get the front and back to match each other...

Just one of "them days", you'll have those...on the bigger jobs.

Stay tuned..

Well, after lunch today, I might mosey down the stairs to the shop....mortises to chop, a couple panels to get marked out for size. Maybe spread some glue around...might need a few extra hands for that. Maybe make a few panel blanks for the ends? We'll see....Lunch comes first, though.

3 hours of shoptime, before the back started hurting....Got a little bit done, though...
    IMG_1965 (640x480).jpg
    Chopped a couple mortises. And spread some glue around. Had to use a "cheater" on the clamps, to pull things tight.
    Pinned all the joints, from the "inside"
    IMG_1966 (480x640).jpg
    And set this mess aside, with another glue up..
    IMG_1972 (640x480).jpg
    Then made a matching glue up...
    IMG_1970 (640x480).jpg
    Used the end vise for several tasks. It held the bottom piece while I jointed the edge. Once I had a decent match to the top piece, I spread some glue, and started applying clamps. Vise also held the cauls in place until I could get a clamp on them, like having an extra set of hands..
    Set up the Stanley #45 to plough a groove, used the fence adjuster to center the cutter..
    IMG_1967 (640x480).jpg
    Set up a jig, and made a couple grooves...
    IMG_1969 (640x480).jpg
    Center stile for the back frame. I had used the panels from the front frame to size the two for the back...
    IMG_1975 (640x480).jpg
    But there was a problem...one part was thicker....makes it rough to raise a panel...we have ways..
    IMG_1973 (640x480).jpg
    Stanley No. 5c, with a cambered iron. Took all the high spots down. Got both of these panels flattened. Back was acting up...cleaned the place up, and staggered back upstairs.
    Need to haula 1 x 4 x 8' plank to the shop, and cut a few parts out of it. Maybe later? Or, tomorrow?

ALL the clamps are busy, right now. Not much else to do, for a while....
    Stay tuned....

Maybe later today, when I get back home, I can move some lumber around. Have to reset a jig, so I can raise a couple more panels. Where the ends join the front and back assemblies, I will be using a Tongue & Groove joint. Might set things a tad deeper, this time around. Have to work out the feet details on the end assemblies, too.

I need to take the camera back to the shop.....however....two more panels have been raised. A new center stile milled. Top and bottom rails have been milled. Still need to cut the tenons, and chop a few mortises.....Leg cramps put a stop to any more work, today.....I am soaked. Even with a fan on high 2' behind me.

When the legs settle down, I might try to take a few pictures.

OK, sucking down a couple Gatorades....got a few pictures..
    IMG_1987 (640x480).jpg
    Raised two panels, for the back of the chest....
    IMG_1988 (640x480).jpg
    This is the "new" wider center stile, already marked up for tenons..tomorrow..
    IMG_1989 (640x480).jpg
    Stiles for the ends of the rails, curly stuff..
    IMG_1990 (640x480).jpg
    Two rails out of Birdseye Maple....have these also marked up for tenons...
    IMG_1991 (640x480).jpg
    Got the shoulder plane out, and ready to work on the tenons..

I think that will do for one afternoon? Rails needed ripped from a 1 x 4, the new center stile needed a bit trimmed off of a 1 x 4. Used a few planes to raise the panels....and the Stanley #45 to plough a few grooves..had to get out a new candle for the grooves.....helps the planes slide better.

Stay tuned...

Wish I had a Menard's around here. Bought a 1x4x10' piece of maple from Home Depot. Cost $30.
    Everything is looking good.
    And you do know that cat owns you, and everything else, not the other way around, don't you?

He does his thing,I do mine....
    Tenons were milled today...
    IMG_1996 (640x480).jpg
    The wider ones were cleaned up with a shoulder plane...
    Got out a jig to chop a few mortises with....
    IMG_1997 (640x480).jpg
    This is for the wide tenon....got those two chopped..
    IMG_1998 (640x480).jpg
    Test fitted the two panels...
    IMG_2000 (640x480).jpg
    Set this aside, and reset the jig, since the stiles were thicker...
    IMG_2001 (640x480).jpg
    And chopped four more motises...was finally able to spread some glue around..
    IMG_2002 (640x480).jpg
    Decided this could sit here the rest of the day. Maybe I can figure out how the end panels will go...later,

Stay tuned...

Went to the shop, to check on the glue up.....was NOT happy with it. Wound up taking one stile off, pulling the panel out. Framing square showed one edge way out. 1/8" to 1/4" was cut off, bevel was redone. Re-installed everything....and no gaps!..
    IMG_2003 (640x480).jpg
    Only needed a pair of clamps, this time around. Since one of the end panels only had a single clamp left on it, might as well place it on the bench

Same framing square. edges were not square to the ends, and not parallel to each other. Marked new lines, bandsaw to remove the "bad" spots..
    IMG_2004 (640x480).jpg
    Jig and planes. #5c to hog the waste off of the bevel. #4c to cut the bevel itself. #4 smooth to fine tune the bevel, until a slip fit..
    IMG_2005 (640x480).jpg
    Then flip the panel over, and plane a back bevel..
    IMG_2007 (640x480).jpg
    Until the test piece sits perfectly. Rotate the panel, and work on the other end. End grain gets done first...
    IMG_2006 (640x480).jpg
    Get this one close to fit, then do the back bevel. About that time, I decided to stop for the night.
    Stay tuned...

While NOT happy about the re-do.....I am happy to show when I do mess up...and HOW I fix it. Shows what happens when I get to rushing things.....better to slow down a bit.

maybe after Lunch, I can see about the end panels, and the frames they will sit in. Stay tuned...

Roh-Kay, now....Got the end panel all nicely raised. Got end panel #2 out of the clamps, and trimmed to match #1
    IMG_2018 (640x480).jpg
    And then started to lay out parts for the frames for both ends. Need them to match each other.
    IMG_2010 (640x480).jpg
    Had four stile blanks.....found a straight edge on each, imagine that. Marked for length, mitre box to trim. Bandsaw to rip for width. Then traced the foot outline from the existing ones.
    Bandsaw to cut the detail. Will later sand the feet. I needed to plane this all to match.
    IMG_2008 (640x480).jpg
    Then laid the raised panel to where it will go...
    IMG_2013 (640x480).jpg
    Mainly to figure out the width of the rails....already knew the length..
    IMG_2014 (640x480).jpg
    Turned out the old center rail was close....gave it a tad wider. Mitre Box to cut four blanks..
    IMG_2012 (640x480).jpg
    Then set up the bandsaw to rip for width..
    IMG_2016 (640x480).jpg

Which means I needed a jig ( or two) to plough a groove....
    IMG_2019 (480x640).jpg
    Vise to tighten the jig.
    Out of picture space, again....stay tuned, BRB...