Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Dyed Pieces From This Year

Some Dyed Pieces From This Year

Here are some of my dyed works completed earlier this year. The bark edge bowl on the stand is ash, the rest are box elder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How are you achieving the transparent look. Are you thinning the dye? I like the look but whenever I do it my pieces turn out too dark.

Fabulous! Please tell us more regarding your technique if you can.

Oh wow!!! Very, very nice!!

Robert and Tim - I use Transtint dye. I have just three colors, red, blue, and yellow. I generally put about five or ten drops into about two or three tablespoons of water and stir with a small brush. Then I just paint it on the wood, usually a few coats of the same or differing colors. When dry, I finish with lacquer or clear spray paint. It's fun to experiment to see what shows up in the wood.

daryl - Thanks.

Wow, that 3rd one looks like it was turned from petrified wood!

Really , really super pieces--congrats.

Thanks, David. It's actually the bottom of this piece:
    be8x8s2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Really , really super pieces--congrats.
    Thanks, Robert. I enjoy seeing your works too. Always impressive.

Toby, those are some really nice pieces. Happy turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Wright View Post
    Toby, those are some really nice pieces. Happy turning.
    Thanks, Lamar. Happy turning to you.

Mr. Bouder, you have created some fascinating work here.... I am intrigued and impressed with your results!

When you say you "paint" the wood, is it just that simple? Dip a small paint brush in the dye solution and brush it on? Somehow if I did that, i don't think it would look like your beautiful work!

After applying, do you wipe the dye with a paper towel (or perhaps rub it in) in order to create the base coat or is it literally just painted on with a brush allowed to soak in, and this is your result?

For the secondary colors, I assume you are following the grain lines and feathering with the colors you choose to create such striking separations in the colors? I'm guessing you have to wait for each color to dry?

your talent is apparent and appreciated! Thanks for sharing... please excuse my ignorant questions, I'm very interested in attempting dyeing in the near future....

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Balzonia View Post
    Mr. Bouder, you have created some fascinating work here.... I am intrigued and impressed with your results!

When you say you "paint" the wood, is it just that simple? Dip a small paint brush in the dye solution and brush it on? Somehow if I did that, i don't think it would look like your beautiful work!

After applying, do you wipe the dye with a paper towel (or perhaps rub it in) in order to create the base coat or is it literally just painted on with a brush allowed to soak in, and this is your result?

For the secondary colors, I assume you are following the grain lines and feathering with the colors you choose to create such striking separations in the colors? I'm guessing you have to wait for each color to dry?

your talent is apparent and appreciated! Thanks for sharing... please excuse my ignorant questions, I'm very interested in attempting dyeing in the near future....
    Hi Harold. Thanks. Yes, I just paint the dye on, no rubbing. As far a the separation, I do dye over the red streaks in the box elder to make them permanent. The only other pieces that I created separation is the one that looks like it has lightning strikes. On that one I first painted some yellow dye on the burl figure and then put blue over the rest. The next piece I also dabbed yellow on the burl eye figure before dyeing the rest blue. I do let the dye dry before putting any more on. The trick is to use wood that has lots of density variance. The dye absorbs more or less depending on the density or porosity.

Now that is unique I really like that!

I guess I am using the wrong dye, I am using their DA base dye/ Craft Supply Woodturners catalog. I tried to thinned but it is just overwhelming. Great pieces though!