Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Drill bits, but no brace or egg beater? Love the kit by the way. I'd want to throw in a 1/8" chisel and a coping or fret saw.
    Joe,

there is a ship's cordless drill in the RV.

ken

Hi Ken,

Very interesting post and quite informative. I meant to reply earlier, but had too many irons in the fire, etc.

I took tools to the kid's house for general carpentry, but had no idea what I was going to work on. Also, I used a cardboard box that had dividers, but poorly organized, and it rapidly got even more poorly organized.
    My son-in-law also had tools, and so I didn't take duplicates if they were very large.

Here is what I took ("X") marks the tools I used:

Cats paw nail puller (X)
    16 oz claw hammer (X)
    25' tape measure (X)
    chalk box (X)
    block plane (X)
    jack plane (X)
    nail sets
    three chisels, 1/2, 1/4, and 1&1/4 (X)
    rasps
    ctr punch (X)
    nail vest (X)
    combination square (X)
    screw driver and screw driver bit set (X)
    brace and bits
    4 quick grip clamps (X)
    twist drill bits (X)
    2' level (X)
    stud finder (X)
    utility knife (X)
    small framing square (X)
    blue bar (flat nail and pry bar)
    keyhole saw
    jent's saw (X)
    sanding blocks (X)
    sharpening stuff
    Stanley 45
    coping saw (X)
    drill (corded) (X)
    screws and nails (X)
    pencil (X)
    Utility belt with wiring tools and some carpetry tools. (X)

In addition I used the following thats belonged to my son-in-law:

Cross cut and rip saws
    2 additional quick grip clamps
    1/2 inch drive battery drill, primarily used to drive screws
    drills and twist steel bits (I used his drill also.)

While there I primarily worked on cabinet drawers, a cabinet raised panel door, drawer mounting backets, and I did have to rebuild a bench of planks on saw horses.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 09-18-2017 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Here is a list of the tools in my travel kit in no order other than kinda how they ended up on the work bench.

Attachment 367778

Bench hook made after arriving at RV site.
    2 Doe's foot, one made on site.
    LN Bench Brush.
    2Kreg plastic dogs
    #5 with cambered iron.
    #3 with smoothing iron.
    ECE Rebate plane.
    LV Large Router Plane.
    LV Med Router Plane.
    LV Carcass saw, rip and crosscut.
    LV Large Tenon saw, rip and crosscut*.
    Plow Plane with ¼" cutter.
    LN Small Rabbit/Block Plane.
    LN Block Plane.
    400 Atoma with stone holder**.
    Med India in holder/box.
    Hard Black Ark in holder/box.
    Oiled hard leather strop.
    Chisel Roll with ¼" to 1" A. Iles chisels, Wheel gauge, and LV Spokeshave.
    6" Double Sq.
    12" Combo Sq.
    75mm Combo Sq.
    LV Saddle Sq.
    LV 1:8 Dovetail Marker.
    2 Small Dividers.
    150mm Steel rule.
    5 Meter Tape.
    Bird cage awl.
    Screwdriver.
    LV Winding Sticks/Straight Edge.
    Small Box of Drill Bits.
    ¾" Foster Bit.
    2 Marking Knifes.
    Parrallel Guide Pin.
    Pencils and Markers.
    2 Holdfasts
    2 Hammers***.
    Glue.
    Danish Oil.
    6 Light F Clamps.
    Calculater.
    10X Lope.
    Sanding Block.
    ¼" Wood Shim
    26" Stanley Hardpoint Saw and 240mm Ryoba (not in photo).
    Spirit Level.
    Mortise Pin Gauge****

*May not keep in tool box for the next trip.
    **Stone.Holder is not needed.
    ***one hammer is a RV hammer but will add a small Plane hammer.
    ****On order from Amazon, I can't believe I forgot to pack one.
    What kind of work are you doing ? Carpentry or fine woodworking?

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi Ken,

Very interesting post and quite informative. I meant to reply earlier, but had too many irons in the fire, etc.

I took tools to the kid's house for general carpentry, but had no idea what I was going to work on. Also, I used a cardboard box that had dividers, but poorly organized, and it rapidly got even more poorly organized.
    My son-in-law also had tools, and so I didn't take duplicates if they were very large.

Here is what I took ("X") marks the tools I used:

Cats paw nail puller (X)
    16 oz claw hammer (X)
    25' tape measure (X)
    chalk box (X)
    block plane (X)
    jack plane (X)
    nail sets
    three chisels, 1/2, 1/4, and 1&1/4 (X)
    rasps
    ctr punch (X)
    nail vest (X)
    combination square (X)
    screw driver and screw driver bit set (X)
    brace and bits
    4 quick grip clamps (X)
    twist drill bits (X)
    2' level (X)
    stud finder (X)
    utility knife (X)
    small framing square (X)
    blue bar (flat nail and pry bar)
    keyhole saw
    jent's saw (X)
    sanding blocks (X)
    sharpening stuff
    Stanley 45
    coping saw (X)
    drill (corded) (X)
    screws and nails (X)
    pencil (X)
    Utility belt with wiring tools and some carpetry tools. (X)

In addition I used the following thats belonged to my son-in-law:

Cross cut and rip saws
    2 additional quick grip clamps
    1/2 inch drive battery drill, primarily used to drive screws
    drills and twist steel bits (I used his drill also.)

While there I primarily worked on cabinet drawers, a cabinet raised panel door, drawer mounting backets, and I did have to rebuild a bench of planks on saw horses.

Stew
    Stew,

interesting how different the kits are yet the planing is to do much the same jobs just on different scales.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    What kind of work are you doing ? Carpentry or fine woodworking?

John,

Fine woodworking is too kind a term. I would say "bench work" is more accurate ��.

ken

The travel kit and portable work bench are packed for the last time on this trip. As a proof of concept exercise they both worked well but I expect each will be replaced before the next long trip. The bench just because I can do a better job on the build. There are no complaints as to how it works. The tool box is too heavy, while I can load and unload without help there is no reason not to make it two boxes vs. one.

Anyway a successful first go, I expect more to follow.

We will be in Tucson in a couple or three days depending on how long MsBubba lets me drive each day.

ken

Ken,

We weren't really doing the same things, compared to me you were doing fine woodworking, I was basically doing cabinetry type carpentry, repairing existing cabinets, drawers and a raised panel door, even though the cabinets were new and high dollar custom cabinets. What I was doing was several steps below the type of things you do. Consequently I brought along primarily carpentry tools. Plus, my son in law has quite a bit of stuff, so I didn't bring several things.

Interestingly I marked things I used when my wife and I returned home, but when I replied to your post, I remembered that I must have used a couple or three other tools as I thought about the jobs, so I marked those two or three other items as well.

That said, there are things in carpentry that are in common with fine woodworking, I think, and we may use a bit in the way of different tools to do the same tasks, I hadn't really thought about it, but I use the tools I have that I am familiar with using for carpentry.

Your post and list of tools is very interesting, and I plan to study your list for my own reference.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 09-18-2017 at 10:14 PM.

For me being a carpenter/builder for more years then I care to remember, it always amazed me how many tools that ended up on the job compared to the other trades and how many tools you only use for a few minuets but the work could not progress with out them.
    Rick

Ken,

We weren't really doing the same things, compared to me you were doing fine woodworking, I was basically doing cabinetry type carpentry, repairing existing cabinets, drawers and a raised panel door, even though the cabinets were new and high dollar custom cabinets. What I was doing was several steps below the type of things you do. Consequently I brought along primarily carpentry tools. Plus, my son in law has quite a bit of stuff, so I didn't bring several things.

Interestingly I marked things I used when my wife and I returned home, but when I replied to your post, I remembered that I must have used a couple or three other tools as I thought about the jobs, so I marked those two or three other items as well.

That said, there are things in carpentry that are in common with fine woodworking, I think, and we may use a bit in the way of different tools to do the same tasks, I hadn't really thought about it, but I use the tools I have that I am familiar with using for carpentry.

Your post and list of tools is very interesting, and I plan to study your list for my own reference.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Stew,

I slightly disagree in the jobs for the most part are the same just the scale changes but there are some job where even if the scale were the same carpenter tools would be tough to use such as using a chop saw for most anything but one sure is nice to have for home Prime projects ��.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Malakoff View Post
    For me being a carpenter/builder for more years then I care to remember, it always amazed me how many tools that ended up on the job compared to the other trades and how many tools you only use for a few minuets but the work could not progress with out them.
    Rick
    Rick,

That's the interesting part of a limited kit. I have way too many tools at home for me most are seldom used...Just the core tools for most things.

ken

The bench just because I can do a better job on the build.

ken
    Exellent kit - Can't wait to see how you make it better! Should be very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berklich View Post
    Exellent kit - Can't wait to see how you make it better! Should be very interesting
    Thanks Bill,

I unpacked the tool box this morning. There was only one very small rust bloom on the block plane which was easily taken care of, other than that there was no damage to tools or bench. Not bad for many miles of travel in the PNW.

ken

Hi Ken,

+1 on what Bill wrote, also to see how you improve the bench in your new version.

Stew

Hi Ken,

+1 on what Bill wrote, also to see how you improve the bench in your new version.

Stew
    Stew,

It may be awhile for the start on an improved version of the bench, not much RV'ing for the next few months. We have one trip to Mexico in Oct. for a few days on the beach but that's about it. Plus work is insane, I expect I will get my back taken care of as soon as it can be scheduled, and MsBubba has plans for my shop time leaving little time for the bench re-build before Spring..

I expect the new version will have a Poplar base and stretchers along with Poplar for the tool tray as well. The slab wood is still to be decided but it will be a laminated slab slightly wider and thicker than is likely for a solid hunk of wood. I expect European Beech is still the likely pick although W.O. or Soft Maple would work as well. Size will remain the same and the vise will be re-used. Pretty much the same bench but with prettier wood and better joinery.

ken

Stew,

It may be awhile for the start on an improved version of the bench, not much RV'ing for the next few months. We have one trip to Mexico in Oct. for a few days on the beach but that's about it. Plus work is insane, I expect I will get my back taken care of as soon as it can be scheduled, and MsBubba has plans for my shop time leaving little time for the bench re-build before Spring..

I expect the new version will have a Poplar base and stretchers along with Poplar for the tool tray as well. The slab wood is still to be decided but it will be a laminated slab slightly wider and thicker than is likely for a solid hunk of wood. I expect European Beech is still the likely pick although W.O. or Soft Maple would work as well. Size will remain the same and the vise will be re-used. Pretty much the same bench but with prettier wood and better joinery.

ken
    Sounds like perhaps heavier wood too. That'll be a benefit in use but perhaps not so great for assembly/breakdown/transport....