Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live Edge Questions

Blog Entries
    Looks good! I did not see that you are in Buck's county, the land of the living edge! Enjoy it.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Nice job, Steve!!

Brian, I can tell you that it's an absolute pleasure to live in this area and only a few miles from "ground zero" for live edge art...the Nakashima Compound.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I've been out there a few times, really always enjoy it. I grew up around Willard Brothers, I used to buy exotics over there as a teenager and my introduction to live edge was through Ru's furniture.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I patronized Willard for my last commission project...they have always been nice folks and I still have some wide 5/4 cherry boards that I bought there during their annual sale many years ago. Those boards are just waiting for the "right" project.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I didn't know they have an annual sale. I always find them friendly even if a little pricey. I also find the layout very browse friendly.

6. What did you end up doing for the transition to the milled edge? I'm facing a similar situation and I'm curious at how yours turned out.

My favorite tool for live edges is a draw knife. It removes bark and cambium quicker than about anything and is great for dealing with defects, transitions, etc. It just seems like the perfect tool for a hand tooled edge.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Schokking View Post
    What did you end up doing for the transition to the milled edge? I'm facing a similar situation and I'm curious at how yours turned out.
    I beveled the milled edge slightly, and simply smoothed out the transition from the live edge to the milled edge. Here's a picture, although it doesn't really convey the bevel all that well.

table.jpg
    And there was trouble, taking place...