Thread: Hand Reamer Vendors?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hand Reamer Vendors?

Anyone know where I could get a decent hand reamer for tapering out screw holes?
    David

Blog Entries
    Are there hand reamers for this?

Most of what have come my way fit in a brace.

I use something like these:

Bits.png

They drill the pilot hole, clearance hole and countersinks the top. If you go a little deeper then there is room to cover it with a plug.

In the past I have also used a drill bit as big as the head of the screw to make a countersink.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the reply Jim, but not what I am looking for. I seem to recall seeing a tool shaped like a screwdriver-type handle with a countersink gizmo attached to the end of the handle. It looked like you inserted the countersink into the screw hole and then gave the handle a twist to ream the screw hole out for tapered screws. I have googled without any luck after looking at LV and LN offerings. I thought I had originally seen it in LN's offerings a couple of years ago but my hard drive is definitely full and who knows where I did see it. Thanks anyway.
    David

Gimlet....both "T" handled ones, and for use in a brace.....I have at least one of each in the shop...

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/...ink-?node=4084

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz View Post
    You must have better Google Fu than me Mark.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Also Google Noga.

Not really. I just remembered they were there. At one point I contemplated buying some countersink bits and making a handle to use by hand. Never did find the round tuit, though.

Exactly what I was looking for (although perhaps at a less-than-LN cost) Mark. Thanks a lot. I looked at the LN website last night and it never revealed itself to me. It also seemed like a couple of their other non-plane, non-chisel type tools were not showing up either, so apparently I was not navigating their site very well. I also like your idea of making one. I don't turn, but how hard can it be to make a handle for occasional use.
    David

Lee Valley has one as well (of course) --- I bought one a while back, and have been very pleased w/ it:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...=3,41306,41328

Love the octagonal shape and that it doesn't roll when put down.

Harbor Freight has one as well (Warrior brand: 3-In-1 Hex Bit Countersink Tool) which I keep thinking I should grab for abuse and metal-working (but then I remember how the countersink bit from there wore down just countersinking 4 holes in not too hard steel plate and decide better).

Rockler also has them. With 3 changeable bits.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    ... a tool shaped like a screwdriver-type handle with a countersink gizmo attached to the end of the handle....
    Search for "hand countersink" (not reamer.) Lots of choices show up at Amazon & in a Google search. General has one that might even show up in your local hardware or big box store.

(PS- Lee Valley also has tapered reamers, for e.g. chair legs, in Standard and "PRO". Straight reamers are used for precise holes in metal work too, e.g. Metal Reamers.)

Thanks to all for the all of the info and links provided. Unfortunately, it is now like a Chinese menu in my hands - way, way too many choices. The LV or LN one looked like what I wanted, but then the Rockler one with three different sized tips all for $9.99 was revealed, no - just make your own with a countersink/home made handle marriage, Brian said the LN one sucked and LV has this round one with a hole that works, someone else turned me on to one that is a greater diameter than 3/4" (that is something I have wanted more than once in the past and a candidate for the "make your own"), then egg beaters jumped in to the mix so I went to the drawer my two-never-remember-to-use eggbeaters live and they will work just fine. Then Steven says "tapered drills" or something will do the trick - I've never seen a tapered drill and now I have to see/hold one just because, and the Brits and Aussies haven't even woken up and jumped into this discussion either. No more. Thank you all, but no more - my head is going to explode and all because I screwed up the original search. Where is Lowell? he will tell me what to do.
    David

As a newbie to this hobby....THIS IS HOW I FEEL WITH EVERY TOOL I DECIDE I NEED!

Fwiw, reading this thread, I like the LV one. Mayhap I'll order one.

Some of the ones from my shop...
    IMG_1870 (640x480).jpg
    Each a little different. I have a couple countersink bits for my 6" sweep brace.