Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Reamer Vendors?

Hand Reamer Vendors?

Anyone know where I could get a decent hand reamer for tapering out screw holes?
    David

Blog Entries
    Are there hand reamers for this?

Most of what have come my way fit in a brace.

I use something like these:

Bits.png

They drill the pilot hole, clearance hole and countersinks the top. If you go a little deeper then there is room to cover it with a plug.

In the past I have also used a drill bit as big as the head of the screw to make a countersink.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the reply Jim, but not what I am looking for. I seem to recall seeing a tool shaped like a screwdriver-type handle with a countersink gizmo attached to the end of the handle. It looked like you inserted the countersink into the screw hole and then gave the handle a twist to ream the screw hole out for tapered screws. I have googled without any luck after looking at LV and LN offerings. I thought I had originally seen it in LN's offerings a couple of years ago but my hard drive is definitely full and who knows where I did see it. Thanks anyway.
    David

Gimlet....both "T" handled ones, and for use in a brace.....I have at least one of each in the shop...

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/...ink-?node=4084

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz View Post
    You must have better Google Fu than me Mark.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Also Google Noga.

Not really. I just remembered they were there. At one point I contemplated buying some countersink bits and making a handle to use by hand. Never did find the round tuit, though.

Exactly what I was looking for (although perhaps at a less-than-LN cost) Mark. Thanks a lot. I looked at the LN website last night and it never revealed itself to me. It also seemed like a couple of their other non-plane, non-chisel type tools were not showing up either, so apparently I was not navigating their site very well. I also like your idea of making one. I don't turn, but how hard can it be to make a handle for occasional use.
    David

Lee Valley has one as well (of course) --- I bought one a while back, and have been very pleased w/ it:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...=3,41306,41328

Love the octagonal shape and that it doesn't roll when put down.

Harbor Freight has one as well (Warrior brand: 3-In-1 Hex Bit Countersink Tool) which I keep thinking I should grab for abuse and metal-working (but then I remember how the countersink bit from there wore down just countersinking 4 holes in not too hard steel plate and decide better).

Rockler also has them. With 3 changeable bits.

Blog Entries
    I have the LN, it always manages to leave chatter. I have one from LV that chucks into a drill (you can use it in a handle instead) it's concave with a hole that terminates in a cutting edge, that one always leaves a smooth chamfer.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I agree Brian. It is kind of trial and error with countersink bits. I have one that excels that I use in an eggbeater drill. The LN one doesn't seem to be sharp enough to cut smoothly, and of course it is very low rpm.

Thanks William. So, looks like my LV search was faulty as well. I searched their catalog database for a "hand reamer" instead of a "countersink". Basically, both my searches last night were faulty. Oh well, good thing SMC is here to save the day. Thanks Lonnie, I will check them as well.
    David

15. Not what you were asking for, but...... I get pretty good results with a countersink bit in an eggbeater drill.