Thread: Experian!! Does anyone use Lifelock?

Experian!! Does anyone use Lifelock?

Would like to hear from anyone who uses or has used Lifelock.....the good and the bad.

THanks

Jim

What does Experian have to do with LifeLock? LifeLock has some ties to Transunion.

The FTC assessed the highest fine in history against LifeLock - $100M just a few years ago.

LifeLock has a poor reputation with financial people.

Blog Entries
    I use lifelock and have been reasonably happy with them. I was part of the Equifax leak (I checked on the website several days ago). LL notified me several days ago as well. Previously, they notified me and my son about credit inquiries. I don't use much credit so limited experience.
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 09-13-2017 at 4:10 PM.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

The recent leak was Equifax, not Experian. Actually the leak at Equifax was more like a flood.

We use LL.

My wife said that LL has called her a few times when she went out of town, etc

I think that LL has inflated the actual risk....although the recent Equifax flood has validated my keeping the coverage.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

whoops - my bad - equifax it was....

Equifax will freeze your credit for free now up until mid-November: https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freez...onalIDInfo.jsp

The freeze just needs to be suspended by you every time you want to apply for a new line of credit but this is pretty simple. Would also recommend re-setting the pin Equifax generates right off. Apparently these are pretty weak.

I froze the others this morning but couldn't get Equifax to work. Will try again later. The others cost $5 each but that may vary by state. In some states there is no fee for seniors.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Equifax will freeze your credit for free now up until mid-November: https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freez...onalIDInfo.jsp

The freeze just needs to be suspended by you every time you want to apply for a new line of credit but this is pretty simple. Would also recommend re-setting the pin Equifax generates right off. Apparently these are pretty weak.
    But then they charge you for everything after the first freeze don't they?

Does a credit card company check with all three services or just one? If all, wouldn't freezing one be adequate?

All three agencies are experiencing traffic issues with both their online resources and their contact centers...no surprise there...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I froze the others this morning but couldn't get Equifax to work. Will try again later. The others cost $5 each but that may vary by state. In some states there is no fee for seniors.
    I've read that Equifax is working on some way of locking their's, Experian and TransUnion files on you simultaneously, not sure what the fees would be moving forward though. The credit monitoring bureaus certainly shouldn't be permitted to profit off any of this.

You could also change your SSN: https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/3401...ecurity-number

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    It appears you have to be a victim of identity theft to qualify to change your SSN. If your SSN was only stolen, but never used for criminal purposes you are probably out of luck.

Blog Entries
    As is Lifelock according to the email they sent me yesterday.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"