Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulsing lawnmower

Pulsing lawnmower

My 3 year old Troy Bilt, Lowes special started a consistent RPM pulsing today; vroom, pause, vroom, pause.
    Carburetion problem?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I would first check the fuel tank's vented cap. Second I would use a non-Ethanol gas if available, I like the Rec90 fuel I buy from my local BP station.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 09-08-2017 at 10:58 PM.

Ah! I didn't think of that!
    Thanks
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Narrow the spark plug gap. That's what I did for my Snowblower that did the same thing.

Blog Entries
    Check the oil level it could be low. Also clean the air filter. Check for grass or debris on the automatic choke linkage.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You might also try putting a little Seaform gas stabilizer in the tank each use. It seems to fix almost anything.

Make sure you mix the Seafoam according to the directions on the can. Mix a gallon and just use it up in any small engine except for a two cycle which requires a different mix ratio.

Also it is a wise idea to Mac suggested use only non ethanol fuel. You can find some in your area on pure-gas.org
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Forget the Seafoam, as it's a mixture of naptha, alcohol, and diesel fuel. Head over to Home Depot, and grab a bottle of "Mechanic in a Bottle." Not the fuel shield, but true "Mechanic in a Bottle." I don't know what's in this stuff, but local repair place that fixes commercial equipment turned me on to it. I have salvaged small engines from local dumpster that would not run without choke (your engine has an automatic choke) on. Following directions on bottle, add MIB, start engine, and after a few moments, it would smooth out. No connection to manufacturer, only VERY SATISFIED customer. Keep a couple bottles on hand. I add StarTron to fresh non alcohol gas when I purchase it.

sometimes mine will do that when the spark plug cable is just a bit loose.

Air filter is plugged.

With all those things wrong with it, you might as well by a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    With all those things wrong with it, you might as well by a new one.
    I was thinking the same thing. LOL

13. It's the governor. Clean the linkage pivots or put on a stronger spring.

Thought the same thing on my snowblower and played with it forever. Gapped the spark plug smaller and it solved the issue.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    Thought the same thing on my snowblower and played with it forever. Gapped the spark plug smaller and it solved the issue.
    No, you affected a symptom by decreasing the engine's performance, so the engine couldn't spool up as fast and cause over-rev. In other words, you slowed the engine's response to match the slow response of the governor, instead of speeding up the governor's response to match the engine.