Thread: Mudroom Built In Ideas

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mudroom Built In Ideas

Evaluating design options for a built-in "cubby" in a mudroom. Two questions I'd love feedback on.

1) Solid wood top. How would you do this? Just place the slab on top of the lower carcass and allow it to expand/contract towards the front? The uppers would just "sit" on top of the slab of solid wood? (that's what I've done in the past).

2) What is the minimum width of a usable "cubby"? The room width is a scant 89" ... which would leave 16" for five units or 20-3/8" for four. Is 16" practical?

Currently evaluating a painted finish with hardwood "seat" but designer is also looking at a complete hardwood finish (cherry). If it was all painted (another suggestion this morning) I'd just use plywood for the seat, in which case I'd probably use Dominos to align seeing as I can drop the upper cabinets onto the seat (plenty of height).

Also wondering if in practice pulling out the drawers without a toe-kick would be really annoying?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius