Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm okay- island is not.

Blog Entries

I'm okay- island is not.

My house made it. My family is safe. Hospital lost roof- airlifting patients. Absolutely devastating- destroyed our infrastructure. I could barely make it 3 blocks on foot due to all the downed poles and debris. No comminication until just now. All we knew was Jose right behind it. No word on forecast path until just now finally able to pull up NHC and it's a direct hit for SXM and ANG. I cannot tell you in words how bad that will be. I saw videos during the storm of Barbuda and St. Maarten shared by friends there and it was very bad. Another right behind- I cannot imagine. I have many friends there and in Turks where I hear it is hitting now. Turks will not do well because they are so low. My friends in Tortola are OK. Nanny Cay destroyed. Moorings boats piled on top of each other. Ivan's is gone. No word on Ivan himself but I would have heard by now so assuming he is ok. (For my sailing friends on the forum) No word on Foxy and Soggy Dollar but assuming the same as Ivan's. St John ferries washed ashore. Cruz Bay images coming in look not too bad- getting word on Coral Bay that they cleared the ball field to land choppers. St John hit very hard on NW. My friend on St. John lost her second story. Also my neighbor lost their second story.

Please pray for us and other islands. We can't take another hit. My house was vibrating, shutters were cracking, doors flexing in and that was doors that had hurricane panels on them. My floor at one point started to vibrate like a trampoline that someone was shaking. My hurricane panels have dents in them. We took 150mph winds. Water spraying through the seam where the shutters close like a pressure hose, and I had plugged every gap with shrink wrap up and jammed in the cracks like caulking- which worked quite well except two shutters that leaked a good bit. In the end only a tiny leak in the roof. 180 year old home and still has the original rafters. These guys knew how to build. Stone walls with timber framed floors. Roof flares out at the edges for aerodynamics. Seriously- the Danish knew what they were doing in the 1800's.

The navy sent a vessel and navy helicopters airlifting people. USCG chopper as well. Our ER is raining inside the hospital. Top two of 4 floors destroyed. Bottom two makeshift around the flooding.

I will not be replying to keep internet free for storm tracking. On topic: Milwaukee M18 drill/driver is amazing. Boarded up my house and neighbor's, kept me through the storm fixing shutters, built a gate after the storm- all in one battery!!! I also have high praises for the M12 big square LED light- that thing went all night and day (house boarded up/no light) on one battery. The M18 job site radio kept us in touch but you have to turn on the radio to charge the phone- major flaw there. Also when plugged in it does not charge the battery. Come on, Milwaukee. Other than that- Milwaukee kept us safe through the storm.

Glad you and your family are alright, thoughts and prayers for you all, hope the rest of the storms decide to head out to the middle of the Atlantic.

Very glad you are ok Malcolm!
    Fred

You were in our thoughts and prayers Malcolm, and we will continue.
    Glad you are physically ok.

Blog Entries
    We were on a cruise last week with ports in St. Thomas and Tortola. What a difference a week makes, wow. Praying for you guys.
    NOW you tell me...

I simply cannot imagine the fear something like this must generate, traumatic would not describe it I imagine. Stay safe or as safe as you can.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Thanks for the update Malcolm! Thoughts and prayers sent!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Malcolm,
    So very pleased to hear you and yours are safe. I was actually worried that some wierd part of you would drag you out to see how big the swells really were. Continued thoughts for your safe passage through Jose and the recovery process which will undoubtedly be arduous.
    Thanks for the update-Bill

I was so glad to see your post. Continued thoughts and prayers.
    Try to stay safe Malcom.

Great to hear that you & yours made it through the storm! Praying that Jose & Katia veer north!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Glad you are okay, we've visited your island and can't imagine what it looks like now. Hopefully Jose will go somewhere else.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for taking the time to post an update here and relieved you and yours are safe. Best to you and all in the recovery.

Thanks for checking in, Malcolm. I wish you a smooth recovery and hope that José stays far enough away from you to avoid a lot more damage.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's incredibly thoughtful of you to check in here and provide a status update considering the circumstances you are in. What a story! Hoping the recovery and rebuild process is the best it can be Malcolm,

I wish you safe passage through all that seems yet to come. Glad you are well. I have to agree with the M18 drill and impact drivers - amazingly dependable and hard workers. Hopefully you can give them a rest.

Take care!
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge