Thread: Router for Bench Dog Router Table

Router for Bench Dog Router Table

I went ahead and purchased that Bench Dog router table that replaces the left wing on your table saw. LOVE IT. Best addition to a small shop in a long time. Now then, I think I'm ready for a new router. I have to Bosch router and it is extremely hard to get at and tighten the chuck with the router mounted in the table. I'm thinking I'll keep this one for my hand held and get a different one for the table. If it's just the same problem with all routers I won't bother.

Thanks in advance.
    Scott

Get the Incra lift from Rockler and load it up with a Porter Cable 7518 motor and youll REALLY love the setup!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

HOLD on! Maybe I just need this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jziGX533gjo
    Scott

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I have the Musclechuck in my Benchdog wing/lift. It makes changing bits a breeze.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The MuscleChuck, yea I have one of those too. Still gonna need a lift IMO though.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I think some people see the biggest advantage of a lift as being able to change bits above the table. Yeah, that's nice, but to me it's the easy precision control of height, throughout the range.

I use the Muscle Chuck, but mostly because it's so much easier than wrenches, above the table or not.

I use a PC7518 in my Benchdog cast iron table with the Benchdog lift. The spindle completely clears the table when raised fully and doesn't even require bent wrenches.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I use a PC7518 in my Benchdog cast iron table with the Benchdog lift. The spindle completely clears the table when raised fully and doesn't even require bent wrenches.
    I have the same setup. With the Musclechuck all you need is one Allen wrench.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have the Triton MOF001C mounted in mine and you can the lift system in that one is great.
    router_insert.jpg
    triton_router_mounted.jpg
    router_cabinet.jpg
    snip_20170523153615.jpg

I shopped long and hard for a router and lift combination. I found that most of the lift and router stock chucks have the same issue you described. Some less so, I think, because the opening in the lift is a larger diameter. I have the Bosch 1617 motor in a Rousseau lift and picked up the metric bent wrench from Rockler. Depending on the height position of the router, I use the small wrench (which is also shorter) from under the top when the router is set low and from above when the router is set high. The bent wrench takes care of loosening the collet. Possibly to make it easier would be a 2-3HP router with a push button spindle lock (I didn't see one available at the time). Barring that, I didn't see much difference between the lift and router motor combinations in terms of collet and wrench access.

11. I had the exactly same. Added the Woodpecker lift and PC7518 motor, add use my Bosch (1617/18) in hand now. Huge improvement with the lift.