Thread: Question Regarding The Vermec Sphere Turning Jig

Question Regarding The Vermec Sphere Turning Jig

I am considering the purchase of one of these. The consensus seems to be that this is one of the best (if not the ultimate) sphere jig on the market. From the photographs I have seen, the cutter seems to closely resemble a hunter carbide cutter. However, it is my understanding that it is not a Hunter.

I am wondering if a Hunter cutter can be used with this jig as they are easily procured here in the US. If not, what type of cutter exactly is needed and how easy is it to find in the US?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    I am considering the purchase of one of these. The consensus seems to be that this is one of the best (if not the ultimate) sphere jig on the market. From the photographs I have seen, the cutter seems to closely resemble a hunter carbide cutter. However, it is my understanding that it is not a Hunter.

I am wondering if a Hunter cutter can be used with this jig as they are easily procured here in the US. If not, what type of cutter exactly is needed and how easy is it to find in the US?
    Glen,

I have the Vermec and my opinion and that of a friend who has tried several other jigs is it is the sturdiest and the best we know of.

The cutter is definitely different from a Hunter and when I considered the same thing, it seems I decided the Hunter would not fit. However, I didn't try it. Maybe it would just be a matter of finding the proper screw, I don't remember.

If you need it, I can try to check closer the next time I go down the hill to the shop. I have all the Hunter cutters and some others as well.

BTW, I ordered mine directly from the company in Australia (Vermec Engineering <vermec@netspace.net.au>). Due to the exchange rate at the time it was actually cheaper than ordering from the US distributor, even with shipping. (I would have bought one from the distributor but when I called they were backordered and didn't expect a shipment for months.) The surprising thing about ordering from Australia was it arrived just a few days after I placed the order. The people were a joy to work with. My only regret was I forgot to order extra cutters!

This is what I wrote about the cutter in another forum on 3/3/2016:

This is the carbide cutter that came on the Vermec sphere jig. (Pic is from my cell phone through a hand lens so it not very professional!)

The cutter is cupped, side angle the same as the Hunter carbide, but the size and shape inside is different - a ring of dimples instead of a smooth flute. It is about 8mm in diameter compared to the 10mm of the Hunter #3. The height is a bit less too, about 3.5mm.

vermec_cutter.jpg

Woodworkers Emporium (1-800-779-7458) sells the Vermec jig and probably carries the cutter. I didn't call them about the cutters but I just now noticed an odd thing: when looking at the Vermec jig I looked under "Related Products" and they show an 8mm #2 Hunter carbide bit. Hmmm.....

JKJ

Thanks John.

Woodworkers Emporium is out of stock of the large jig, but has the other two. They have no idea when they will receive more. However, I have already been in contact with the folks at Vermec and they seem to be wonderful to deal with. It appears that it will indeed be less expensive to buy directly from them.

I'll ask them if one of the Hunter carbides will fit, and if so, which one. I'll post to this thread when I find out.
    Regards,

Glen

I bought mine from Wood Workers Emporium a few years ago at a Symposium. Without a doubt the best made sphere turning jig. Haven't thought about changing the cutter as of yet, as a matter of fact I have not yet even moved it. I would contact Mike Hunter to see if he made a cutter to fit.

This is the comment from the folks at Vermec regarding the use of a Hunter cutter in their jig:

"If Hunter tools have a 8mm with an M3 screw, then yes you can use there's, otherwise we have replacements."
    Regards,

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Glen,

BTW, I ordered mine directly from the company in Australia (Vermec Engineering <vermec@netspace.net.au>).

JKJ
    John - I don't think their website is set up for online ordering so it appears that ordering has to take place via email. That, in itself, is not a problem - they have been extremely responsive with their email responses - but I don't like the notion of sending them my credit card information in an unsecured email.

How did you pay for the jig?
    Regards,

Glen

John - I don't think their website is set up for online ordering so it appears that ordering has to take place via email. That, in itself, is not a problem - they have been extremely responsive with their email responses - but I don't like the notion of sending them my credit card information in an unsecured email.

How did you pay for the jig?
    I payed with credit card. I did contact the card company (I think I used AmEx) and told them what I was doing, the amount of the transaction in Australian dollars, and the company in Australia I was buying from. They are careful about international transactions and assured me that one transaction to Vermec Engineering was all that would be approved. (If I didn't contact the card services the charge would not have gone through at all.)

You can probably call them too if you deal with the time change. You might still have to make arrangements with the card company.

Vermec also accepts direct bank transfer but I found the fees for that high.

JKJ

I guess PayPal solves this kind of dilemma. They charge an additional 5% for PayPal transactions but I think that's my best option.
    Regards,

Glen

Hunter cutter with Vermec jig

This is the comment from the folks at Vermec regarding the use of a Hunter cutter in their jig:

"If Hunter tools have a 8mm with an M3 screw, then yes you can use there's, otherwise we have replacements."
    Glen,

I talked to Mike Hunter today about something else and asked him about using the #2 cutter with the Vermec jig. He said not only does it work, he sells them to the Vermec US distributor for exactly that purpose.

Earlier today I had pulled a #2 cutter off his large Osprey tool and it fit the Vermec just fine. Mike affirmed what I had discovered, that cutter is identical in dimension and angle and the screw is the same thread. Mike's screw does have the a Torx socket which I prefer instead of an Allen hex socket. (He includes a Torx wrench with every tool and you can buy one separately.) The Vermec screw head is a slightly different height but both screws work the same.

I use the Hunter tools a lot and can testify the cutters he uses are high quality.

That said, I would still probably buy and extra cutter if ordering from Vermec as long as the price was reasonable, then buy others as needed from Mike. Note that this type of razor sharp cutter has to be protected from bumping against a steel tool or surface or it will chip. I make sure both the Vermec and Hunter tools have a protective sleeve (a piece of clear plastic tubing) on it any time it's not in use.

JKJ

So, has anyone actually used the Hunter cutter on this jig? I see the NA site list the Hunter #2 as the replacement cutter. Just not sure if I should order original or Hunter. I have kept the plastic sleeve on the cutter of my new tool but went to use it today and even with that I somehow managed to chip it. I was able to rotate the chip to the back and keep on cutting but now want a few spares.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    So, has anyone actually used the Hunter cutter on this jig? I see the NA site list the Hunter #2 as the replacement cutter. Just not sure if I should order original or Hunter. I have kept the plastic sleeve on the cutter of my new tool but went to use it today and even with that I somehow managed to chip it. I was able to rotate the chip to the back and keep on cutting but now want a few spares.
    Peter, I went as far as mounting the Hunter cutter on the jig but I didn't cut any spheres with it. If you want I could try to cut one sometime this week - I think I'm all caught up on outside commitments!! (and staying in town for Thanksgiving) When I asked Mike Hunter about this he said they do work so I ordered a couple of extra cutters that size.

Those cutters do chip easily. I make heavy-duty protectors for mine from short lengths of clear plastic tubing from the hardware store. I like to heat the end of the tubing and squeeze it closed with pliers but that's probably not necessary. I have found that small chips are so difficult to see so I keep a magnifying loupe handy to check. (The chips are almost always my fault when I'm careless and bump the cutter into some other metal.)

BTW, I've only had to replace a few cutters - I've been using some for years.

JKJ