Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
I'm not sure about the aesthetic reason but I'm more familiar with the anesthetic reason:

https://youtu.be/aCFJ1YaEHDA

-Tom

That a good one, esp for me right now, as I don't feel so good....the humor 50 years ago was great-no cursing, etc. 3 Stooges, Bob Hope, Carol Burnett, Red Skelton, and many other. Just all class.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
I was lusting after the book "Eighteenth century woodworking tools". But with the postage it isn't exactly cheap, so I postponed to pull the credit card.

Then, a week or two ago I cleaned out my corner of the living room, stacks of books, magazines, and assorted crap. Of course, you might have guessed allready, there was the book! I allready had bought it and completely forgotten about it a year ago.
This very thing has happened to me more than once. My BF is accustomed to getting the spares.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berklich View Post
A mallet is a great project! As far as weigh it, it is up to you. My most used is a 3"x4"x5" Elm head leather faced mallet @ 12oz no added weight. But I also have hammers and mallets from 4oz to 2.5 lbs. Most of the mallets I make don't have anymore weight than the natural wood because I don't need a greater level of persuasion. If I do I grab my 22oz framing hammer :-)
Yeah, there is a point of diminishing returns. Already have two round mallets, one 12, other 18 oz. I suppose with the next one, 24 oz would be good-if the wood comes out close to that.