Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A lighthearted Neander thread - mostly photos

Blog Entries

A lighthearted Neander thread - mostly photos

After a long week of work a friday evening whisky is enjoyed amongst friends. This is, in my opinion, the forum equivalent.

My wife enjoys a local antique market, she often requests that I do the driving. More often than not I can browse through in 2-3 minutes then drive off and get a coffee, this weekend however I decided to dig a little deeper.

I stumbled upon this and enjoyed the story that came with it. The seller had a piece of furniture along with this at his stand, the furniture was a rustic piece utilizing carefully chosen branches (with bark intact), tenons obviously cut with a tenon cutter (rounded shoulders) and fitted into neatly made mortises. The piece was left to dry and upon doing so it tightened up to form a rock solid bond. I didn't think to take photos of the furniture, so hopefully my description alone with suffice. I assumed from the seller's description of the maker that he has passed and the seller was offering the last of his work and a mallet.

This mallet is a massive piece, amazingly intact and the handle is very tight but appears to be a simple round tenon. For scale the frame sitting behind this has members of 2.5" x 1.75".

I've been needing a replacement mallet for some time, my goumi mallet being a bit lightweight for my taste and my joiners mallet has been disintegrating for some time.

So, this is a thread of fun unexpected finds, please participate and enjoy.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 09-04-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Nice mallet Brian.

18 months or so ago I was considering a new LN #2. The work I do is small and I was feeling "acquisitive". I happened to drop by an antique store with a lady friend and happened upon a small smoother that was painted totally black, as if it had been used as a decoration. I checked the dimensions against Blood and Gore and realized I'd stumbled onto a Stanley #2. For $15. Talk about an unexpected find! I took her home, cleaned her up and realized the lever cap was cut down from a #3. Nevertheless, she works like a charm. Well worth $15.

Fred

Nice finds guys. I can't make myself go in an antique store, flea market, etc, so who knows what finds I am letting pass me by for the next guy. This may be the consequence of having a Mother who is a full blown, card carrying hoarder. Brian, the mallet looks like a daily user, what does it weigh? Frederick - I have always wanted to hold a #2 just to see what it feels like in the hand. Does it feel larger or more comfortable than standard block plane?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Frederick - I have always wanted to hold a #2 just to see what it feels like in the hand. Does it feel larger or more comfortable than standard block plane?
    Hi David,
    The #2 is larger than a standard block plane. Personally, I like the way it feels in the hand, though if you have large hands you might not agree with me. (Now my WR #1 is a different animal - it's a fair bit smaller.)
    Fred

Upper limit of weight for mallet?

Thanks for starting this, and I hope my question is not a hijack.

Since I'm recovering from knee replacement, am looking for something "simple" to do.

A mallet.

YouTube had a guy adding lead to a mallet.

Obviously, the weight of the wood used for the head will determine, well, the weight of the wooden head......

What is the uppermost weight that you all have made a mallet? Anyone felt the need to add lead, perhaps you had to use a light wood for some aesthetic reason?

Thanks, D
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

On the theme of unexpected finds... wood. For example, wanting to make a token from wood sourced from hallowed ground, I asked my nephew to pick up a branch and bring it to me next time we meet. Without any idea about wood, he grabbed a likely looking log. I opened it up to find it was Sycamore, which is beautiful when quartersawn. It made a perfect top for the piece. It often surprises and delights me to find a beautiful piece of wood that appears one way or another and works perfectly.

Found in kitchen knife drawer at a friends house. She said "I don't know what it is. Some kind of meat or cheese slicer. I never have used it. You can have it if you want." I said "Thank you very much".
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

After a recent group get together in Virginia.....the event's host said....."These are my scrap bins."( BTW....the scrap bin goes the length of that wall, from the corner, to the walk-through door, and was one of three to dig through!)

IMG_0512 (640x480).jpg
    And each of us at that event were allowed to load up as much as we wanted. Our Host figured he'd soon have those bins full again. I had to share a ride in a pickup truck to the site, so I got just half a truck load

Poplar.jpg
    Some Poplar...
    cherry stacked.jpg
    Some Flame Cherry ( using the last of this up, now) and..
    side view.jpg
    The rest was Curly Maple.....all were considered "scrap" and/ or just cut-offs....that our Host couldn't use in the work he does.

Have used some of this for a Stand up Desk, a Candy Box, and most of the parts for a simple Chest of Drawers.

To think, we have these get togethers once a year.....can't eait to see what happens, next year. BTW: Each year is a different host's site......Iowa is next summer...

Heckuva event host Steven C.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    Thanks for starting this, and I hope my question is not a hijack.

What is the uppermost weight that you all have made a mallet? Anyone felt the need to add lead, perhaps you had to use a light wood for some aesthetic reason?

Thanks, D
    I'm not sure about the aesthetic reason but I'm more familiar with the anesthetic reason:

https://youtu.be/aCFJ1YaEHDA

-Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Nice finds guys. I can't make myself go in an antique store, flea market, etc, so who knows what finds I am letting pass me by for the next guy. This may be the consequence of having a Mother who is a full blown, card carrying hoarder. Brian, the mallet looks like a daily user, what does it weigh? Frederick - I have always wanted to hold a #2 just to see what it feels like in the hand. Does it feel larger or more comfortable than standard block plane?
    Thanks David, I'm really not sure but if I had to guess...30 ounces or so.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hi All,

My happy find was a very low dollar item, but it was extremely timely.

I had been looking for rivet material to use to reattach the lateral adjustment lever to the frog of a Stanley plane, but was not having any luck at all, and I had gone to a lot of trouble to find such. Included in the search were the auction site, a couple of industrial nuts and bolts supply houses, some industrial metal fabricators, a lumber yard/hardware store, another hardware store or two, and to a couple of welding supply places, and I had exactly zero luck on anything approaching the size needed.

The welding places were checked to see if they had some brazing rod of the right diameter since I had gotten some of about the right size years ago. (The welding supply places told me that they could no longer even get the size brazing rod I wanted, I suppose due to the changes in welding equipment, but told me that it flat was just not available any more in anything except 1/16" rod.) One place told me to check with the machine shops, but it was getting to the point that I figured many of them were closing up. RATS, NO LUCK at all!

I VERY VERY SELDOM go to garage sales, but went to one the next weekend or so, a lady was selling off some of her late husbands tools. Well, no tools to speak of that I was remotely interested in, and in fact almost no tools at all, but it was not early in the day either, but by chance I happened to see a couple of sticks of brazing rod and of what I think is silver solder, tied together. Probably just like her husband had left them.

The lady had no idea what they were and asked me. I told her brazing rod, and asked about the price....(no need to pay the full asking price if I didn't have to)....WOW....just the size I needed! The bundle did set me back about 50 cents our so!

HAPPY DAY, I fixed the plane!

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 09-06-2017 at 12:25 AM.

Hey Fred,

Well worth 10 times the $15!

Stew

I was lusting after the book "Eighteenth century woodworking tools". But with the postage it isn't exactly cheap, so I postponed to pull the credit card.

Then, a week or two ago I cleaned out my corner of the living room, stacks of books, magazines, and assorted crap. Of course, you might have guessed allready, there was the book! I allready had bought it and completely forgotten about it a year ago.

15. Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    looking for something "simple" to do. A mallet
    A mallet is a great project! As far as weigh it, it is up to you. My most used is a 3"x4"x5" Elm head leather faced mallet @ 12oz no added weight. But I also have hammers and mallets from 4oz to 2.5 lbs. Most of the mallets I make don't have anymore weight than the natural wood because I don't need a greater level of persuasion. If I do I grab my 22oz framing hammer :-)