Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma ... anyone concerned?

Hurricane Irma ... anyone concerned?

We're in Lexington, SC and about 125 miles inland from Charleston, SC

The next Hurricane coming across the Atlantic seems to be taking aim at the Carolina's ... I'm concerned, should I be?

Tim

Blog Entries
    I need her to jog to the north a few degrees. Today it was beautiful clear blue skies and white puffy clouds, but the birds were silent and I didn't see any lizards. That's a bad sign.

image.jpg

Looks like it's time to batten down the hatches. Hope it misses you.
    Tim

Blog Entries
    Thanks. On the good side- surf's up! Amazing swells from this one. We are on the south side of it. On the north the prediction is 60 foot swells.

image.jpg

Here in central NC, any Atlantic hurricane is worth watching. Did monthly generator test run last week, gas cans are full of fresh (before Harvey) gas. Hopefully cold front coming through on Wednesday will track Irma out to sea. It's a wait and see game for right now.

I'm with Bruce, any storm in the Atlantic is worth watching. I am on the coast of Virginia and have seen my share of both NorEasters and hurricanes over the last 60 years. Any storm that comes my way that is a Cat 3 or stronger I will hit the road. The plan is to load up as much as possible in my van including the SawMill Creek server and all of out network components so don't be alarmed if we drop off the Net unexpectedly. My wife will drive the car and I will pull a trailer behind the van. I expect everyone knows that we are on the Virginia coast so there shouldn't be any surprise if we disappear for a few days. We live just barely above sea level on a peninsula that borders the Chesapeake Bay, the York River and Sarah's Creek. A bad rain can put over three feet of water over the only exit road we have.

I won't wait until the last minute because every possible route West will be a parking lot. Can't go north or south...wouldn't want to as the storms are to wide so West is the only option. Most of the other woodworking forums will post a message concerning our fate so you should be able to keep up with our status.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-04-2017 at 8:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    As of today at 8:36 local, 12:36z, blue skies, calm wind, calm seas. You would never know a storm was coming except the absence of birds- they know.

IMG_1968.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    We're in Lexington, SC and about 125 miles inland from Charleston, SC

The next Hurricane coming across the Atlantic seems to be taking aim at the Carolina's ... I'm concerned, should I be?

Tim
    I'm pretty sure you're safe from tidal surge, unlike Keith, but the winds can have an effect, downing trees and taking power lines with them.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Any hurricane is worth watching and being prepared. Went through Sandy here in NJ and that was enough to really open one's eyes to the destruction a storm can do. If we would have gotten the rain that Texas had with Harvey, who knows what this state would have looked like. We still are battling the government down the shore and other places over that storm. Texas is in for a long haul and many many problems to follow. I wish them well. Have my generator ready to go once again if needed.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Any hurricane is worth watching and being prepared. Went through Sandy here in NJ and that was enough to really open one's eyes to the destruction a storm can do. If we would have gotten the rain that Texas had with Harvey, who knows what this state would have looked like. We still are battling the government down the shore and other places over that storm. Texas is in for a long haul and many many problems to follow. I wish them well. Have my generator ready to go once again if needed.
    When Sandy came ashore in NJ, she wasn't a hurricane, only a tropical storm. But don't tell that to the thousands who suffered damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    When Sandy came ashore in NJ, she wasn't a hurricane, only a tropical storm. But don't tell that to the thousands who suffered damage.

Call it what you may, it did some damage. The other thing those people in Texas will deal with is the contamination from so many sources and people will want to do their own clean up and there will cases of sickness and long term problems. 9/11 is around the corner and we all know the long term effects from that clean up. God be with those people. Hopefully some of the aftermath from our storm can be of use to them.
    John T.

Blog Entries
    As of today at 5AM local, NHC predicts a near direct hit of my island with 145mph winds currently being clocked at the eye wall. My house has survived 180 years of hurricanes so I am ok but a bit worried about the roof. It is a very powerful storm, but fortunately very compact. 20 miles makes all the difference in the world- 145mph versus 95mph 20 miles out, and 60mph 30 miles out.

I would appreciate praying folks to keep us in your prayers. It needs to make a turn to the north.

Stay safe, Malcolm. "Stuff" can be replaced...your family, however...is most important.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Stay safe, Malcolm. "Stuff" can be replaced...your family, however...is most important.
    Thanks. It's a worst-case scenario. Category 5 with a direct hit forecast. Strangely, it is a beautiful day today.
    IMG_1978.jpg

Malcolm, It can only be the smart thing to do to remain concerned and err to the side of safety, even if it means some inconvenience. All hopes and prayers for the best.

I was really worried for Lowell when when Harvey got going and he posted something to the effect of "this is not our first rodeo, we're not too concerned". I hope he and his family are okay. Every victim has seen worse until they haven't.

All hopes and prayers for the best. Please post back and tell us it missed you or dissipated and it was much ado about nothing.

Fascinating how the animals know more than we do about these things.