Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurricane Irma ... anyone concerned?

Florida panhandle. Heck yes we're worried. It is expected to turn right after passing the Keys. No one knows how far right. Everyone on the Gulf should be worried.

RE: the current track into the Gulf... I'd hate to see it hit anyone, but please don't let it be Houston area! Giggle the web for 'Indianola, TX' - that is the only place it exists now (and maybe a few history books).

Malcolm, take care of my name and all it's attached parts, pieces, and relatives. (Would it be crass to admit I've been studying the aerodynamics on that new Veritas plane you got? ....I know the lift off speed and terminal velocity required to get it to N.Texas. )
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 09-05-2017 at 2:37 PM.

Just a suggestion:

Occasionally, and before any big storm, I wander around my shop, home and outbuildings with my video camera to document as many items as I can just in case we have to file an insurance claim. When I'm in my shop I open the drawers of tool boxes and record the contents of every drawer, I will also open boxes if they contain anything of value. Walk around every vehicle and structure to document its condition, if a picture is worth a thousand words a video may be priceless if you cannot find a receipt to prove ownership and physical condition to an insurance company.

Videos are also good protection from fire and theft if either happens. My neighbor recently had a very expensive tool box stolen that was full of Snap On tools that he uses for his business but he doesn't even have any proof that he owned the box or its contents.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-05-2017 at 2:57 PM.

Keith, thanks for that excellent suggestion, I'll do that.................Hope you're safe during the storm..........regards, Rod.

Looks like Malcolm and family are taking a huge hit today. Hope they are all safe and OK.

Friends in St. Martin are out of touch. Malcolm got a near miss, bad enough for everyone I"m sure. Hope all are safe and well. It's just about at its worst for Malcolm as I write this. Yikes! 180 mph, gusts to 225! Record setting wind strengths for an Atlantic hurricane.

Here in NE FL, we are preping for the worst and hoping for the best. The computer models are not all that encouraging. Gen set all fueled and tested, cars all with topped up tanks. We are on a bluff overlooking the St. Johns River, high enough to not worry about storm surge here, but the boat is another matter. It's well tied off, canvas all stowed and ready as it can be, but there's talk of 20 foot storm surge and that is more than our ties can handle. Anything more than 10 feet would be a big problem.

As Texas shows, these things can be devastating. I just hope Irma doesn't add more proof than any of us needs. Be safe, all.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

According to the Weather Channel a few minutes ago, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, Turks & Caicos are right in the path. I'd love to hear that Malcolm is safe. I hope for the best and hope he checks in as soon as possible. It looks really severe.

Been thinking of Malcolm and family as well. And all the others in the path.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

9. Some USVI communications have survived, since there are YouTube and Weather Channel videos of damage in St. Thomas. Bad as it looks, it doesn't appear to be as bad as Barbuda and St. Martin. Hope Malcolm and his family are okay and we hear from him soon.

God help all those in the Turks and Caicos and the southern Bahamas. Some of those are such low islands they are at risk of being completely submerged by the storm surge. Puerto Rico, Hispaniola and Cuba are all higher ground and while the storm surge can do damage there, those people have some place to go to get away from the flooding.

All be safe and make sure you're prepared for this monster in FL, and coastal GA, SC and NC. It appears all are at risk over the next days.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

I hope that by the time Irma gets to the Virginia coast its lost most of its power. Even if its just a small storm it can knock out power lines and blow over trees which can keep us offline for several days. Given what happened to Harvey when it went back offshore and returned to land I have a newfound respect for what can happen even though its a low probability.

If she goes a little more East, not to concerned. If she follows the current track, concerned of the rain fall. We are supposed to have winds of 60-70 MPH. People really need to heed warnings, and get lose objects in the yard put up, because they can really hurt someone by flying through the air. Be careful and may God protect all in Harms way.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    RE: the current track into the Gulf... I'd hate to see it hit anyone, but please don't let it be Houston area! Giggle the web for 'Indianola, TX' - that is the only place it exists now (and maybe a few history books).

Malcolm, take care of my name and all it's attached parts, pieces, and relatives. (Would it be crass to admit I've been studying the aerodynamics on that new Veritas plane you got? ....I know the lift off speed and terminal velocity required to get it to N.Texas. )
    Indianola exists on Texas Road Trips show. Saw the episode.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the well wishes- I am very grateful. I posted a separate thread. Will not be comminicating further for a while.