Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Get a Stihl Farm Boss and don't worry about it. The new Stihl saws aren't as good as the old ones, but then again nothing is. The nice thing about Stihl is they will only allow a vendor to sell their brand if they agree to service them on the premises, which is why you won't find them in the big box stores.
    May not be a big box store but close to it. Rural King sells Stihl chain saws. But they do service them on site.

Around here (East side Cincinnati) everyone sells Stihl. The distributor is located here and a dealer can send a employee in his truck to get anything you want in a short time.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I agonized over the purchase of a new chain saw a few years ago: I wanted something light enough for limbing on my trees, but something that could take a long bar for an Alaskan-style chainsaw mill. After months and months of shopping and holding saws, I went with the Dolmar 7900. Very few things in life makes me more content then firing up that saw. There might be better saws, but I have never used one. Highly recommended

What are your cutting needs? I have a Stihl ms361 with a 16" bar that I use for 90% of my cutting. For big stuff I have a Husky 372xpw that wears a 20" or 24" inch bar. I'm always cutting hardwood, about 12 cord a year. Any pro model from Stihl or Husqvarna will last forever, pending good fuel and sharp chains. I can't recommend a pro level saw enough... they always start right up and run like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    Lowes sells Husqvarna, and I like buying from them. Something goes wrong, they take care of it. I'm wishing I could buy the model with the 60cc engine and swap out 20" and 24" bars. Is this doable?
    Lowes only sells the lower home owner models, the real saws are at the dealers. XP models are made to use every day.

I am in the Husky camp, never had great luck with Sthil, and just don't like the way they feel. Current saws are 346, 357, and 372 XP models. Favorite is the 357XP.

I've used both Husky and Stihl (not counting my first saw some 50 years ago, a Pioneer that weighed about 45 pounds with a 36" bar-- as far as I know it is still running!). Both work great for the kinds of 10 times a year work I do now.

I wonder if both Stihl and Husqvarna aren't made in the same factory. Does anyone know for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I wonder if both Stihl and Husqvarna aren't made in the same factory. Does anyone know for sure?
    Two completely separate companies, Stihl is German and Husqvarna is Swedish.

True, but I think Stihl has a factory in the southeast US.

I thought that only dealers sell Stihl around here that is the only place tobuy them and every dealer has the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I thought that only dealers sell Stihl around here that is the only place tobuy them and every dealer has the same price.
    I don't know, maybe it's local price fixing. I bought two of my Stihl saws from a farmer's co-op when they had one of their big biannual chainsaw sales. I had to drive about 40 miles since they were not on sale at a closer Stihl dealer.

JKJ

I researched chain saws about 18 months ago. Stihl and Husky are the most commonly recommended by people who use them heavily. It's worth noting that even these venerable names offer some lesser examples at the lowest price ranges that homeowners tend to gravitate to...it's the pro level stuff that's highly regarded. Having local support is just about as important as which brand you choose. I ended up picking up a super closeout deal on a Dolmar made Makita that's been excellent so far.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    In general, just like many types of equipment sales, including tractors, MSRP is most often the rule, and any "sale" is a rare exception. It just seems to be the industry convention when it comes to things like that. While the primary reason that Stihl controls distribution is service, that essentially insures that their dealers are able to maintain full margin on the product. Stihl also has requirements on advertising, I believe. I've not seen any deviation in pricing between multiple Stihl dealers in my area and one of them would try to charge more if they could... ...but they do that with Kubota parts, too. I don't shop there very often...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Stihl is sold here at Ace Hardware and some True Value Hardware stores, and I don't believe they service anything on site at the ones I go to - maybe a central location.

I have a STIHL 036 Pro I have had over 20 years. I use it with a 18 inch bar and chain. I like the weight and balance with the 18 inch bar. With an 18 inch bar I still can cut 36 inch trees. I rarely need anything bigger. The Stihl 360 models have a compression release to make starting it easier which I really like. I have only had it in the shop one time when I used a friend's "good gas" which messed it up. I use STIHL oil and I don't have any problems. I now avoid other people's chain saw gas and only use what I mixed and keep in a metal gas can.

I tried a Walmart special before buying my STIL and it lasted about 1/2 a day. I got my money back the next day.

PS
    I mainly cut firewood and BBQ wood which is oak here in Texas. A Stihl 036 pro cuts pretty fast through an oak tree trunk. I probably have owned my Stihl pro 036 for more than 20 years since they stopped making it a while back. I bought it new. I am old and I have a problem with time. Everything seems like yesterday. The Stihl pro 036 is the same size as the MS360,MS361 and MS362.
    Last edited by lee cox; 09-06-2017 at 7:05 PM.

Nobody seems to have asked the question....what do you need a chainsaw for? Pruning branches in the backyard twice a year, consistently cutting firewood, tree removal, logging? It's just like any other tool recommendation. Without enough information it's difficult to answer that question adequately.

Also, just throwing out brands like Stihl and Husky don't do anybody any favors. I think you need to get into specific models to be helpful.

I'll say that I have owned and operated duds and creampuffs from both Stihl and Husky. I currently have a couple of Stihls that see regular use (026 pro, and ported 044) but have a Husky 288XP sitting around from my logging days that I can't bring myself to get of. I once had a Husky 346XP which I regularly regret selling to a friend. Wish I still had that one....

I wouldn't buy any of the offerings from Lowes, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't if you're happy with what they have to offer and their service in your area.