Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    I have a little Stihl 018 that is my lightweight go-to saw and a Poulin Pro, both with 14" bars. For bigger stiff I have my Stihl 290 Farm Boss with a 20" bar. None are pro saws.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 09-03-2017 at 6:20 PM.

Ole, do you feel that the Farm Boss handles the 20" bar adequately? 16" is standard and as I mentioned, I run it with an 18". 'Just curious...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    The 290 pulls well in soft wood, in oak it will slow down. Depends on your sharpening skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    OK. So there is a lot of support for Stihl. Can I get one with a 20" and 24" bar? I won't need 24" often. And would be happy to go with 20" for now. And I want it to have power a bunch.

Stihl is only available through dealers. How do I know a dealer is trustworthy?
    I use two Stihl 250s with 16" bars, a larger Stihl (can't remember the model) with a 24" bar, and a Stihl electric. I've had other brands including a Husky but I prefer Stihl. The tree guys around here mostly use Stihl.

I don't use the 24" bar much but it is nice when needed. I once used it to cut up a 48" diameter oak tree that fell in a friend's yard. The smaller saws are MUCH easier to carry and saw for hours and the 16" bar will still cut through a 30" diameter log if needed. I cut 24" diameter logs with them often. Plastic wedges are your friend.

I generally buy from the Farmers Co-ops.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Stihl. I use the .029 (MS290) Farm Boss with an 18" bar. The next sizes up will handle a longer bar nicely, if you need it, and are still reasonably priced. But don't forget that you can also cut from both sides... There's only been one time that I wished for more than my 18" bar in recent years. I personally wouldn't buy any chainsaw that isn't from Stihl, Husqui', etc., and never from a home center as quite often the units sold there are made to cost, rather than to function. I made that mistake for my first one and in the end, it cost me a lot more than just buying the better machine in the first place. A good, quality chainsaw will last and last and will also start easily each and every time.
    OK, so what u all are saying is I should be plenty happy with the 311 (perhaps overkill), 20", and if I ever need it, I could purchase a 24" bar and chain because the motor can handle it. I like HP, even if I only use it a few times a year.

6. Another vote for Stihl, I don't use mine a ton but when I need it it always starts. Prices aren't bad for their non professional saws. It will last you a long time. Also you can buy one at a small local dealer and keep your money away from the big box stores

I just want to know if I can add a 24" bar to the 311 if I need it.

Don't know about the 311, but I have 2 of the 361's. They come standard with a 20" bar, and I have put a 24" on it, it works well, plenty of power.
    However, when I got them new, I told them to put 16" bars on them, because there is no sense swinging a larger bar unless absolutely necessary. Unless you are cutting down very large trees quite often, a 16" will do just about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    I just want to know if I can add a 24" bar to the 311 if I need it.
    Stihl's specifications say 16-20" bar for the 311, but I suspect it will handle a 24" occasionally with the right chain and technique. It would be at the limit, but usable. The same holds true for the MS290 like I have, but I don't know I'd want to go above 20" with that slightly smaller power unit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Stihl MS 291 with a 20" bar and no complaints at all. Loggers in the NW pretty much use Stihl with Huskies coming in second. I would strongly suggest you buy from a Stihl dealer, not from the Borg.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 09-03-2017 at 8:20 PM.

I buy Echo. Had a 452vl that lasted 25 years, now have a cs370. It's 7 years old, never missed a beat. I buy mine off ebay, usually a closeout or refurb for cheap. They are very good saws.

Husky dropped the corded electric saw. Now all they have is a battery one. For my seldom use a battery one is a waste. It will be dead when i need it and the battery will die in a few years.
    I think Makita and Sthil still make a corded saw?
    Bill D

Get a Stihl Farm Boss and don't worry about it. The new Stihl saws aren't as good as the old ones, but then again nothing is. The nice thing about Stihl is they will only allow a vendor to sell their brand if they agree to service them on the premises, which is why you won't find them in the big box stores.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Stihl 291. There is a reason that Lowes sells Husky, and it's not because they are the best saw on the market.
    Sounds like you've cooked a couple of Huskys. Hummm. I bought a new 266 Husky in 1987. Have cut on the average of 12 cord of firewood every year for resale. For 4 consecutive years we cut 48 cord for resale. Have used a few chains and 3 clutches and it still runs strong. Use the best gasoline and mix the oil properly. Don't forget to grease the clutch and the tip of the bar after a few uses. And keep the chain sharp!!. A dull chain is a saw motor killer.