Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dovetail saw

Dovetail saw

I am building a coffee table for some friends. The table is made out of ash. There is a chance I may have enough material left over to add a drawer. If I do I want to try to make hand cut dovetails. I haven't made dovetails since high school about 7 years ago so I am pretty rusty. Right now I have a basic miter saw which I am fairly certain came with a miter box. Would this work for cutting the tails and pins? I have watched some youtube videos of how to cut them and the guys on youtube have really nice saws. For a first timer what saw should I use? Should I use the one I have or should I purchase a new one? If I purchase a new one is there a good quality one at a decent price?

ehh, could be....
    saw work.jpg
    This is what I use..most of the time....
    backsaw.jpg
    Just an old Disston No. 4 backsaw. Has been filed rip cut. Still has 11 teeth per inch. I rub an old candle along the sides and at the tooth line. Nothing fancy.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 09-03-2017 at 2:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    ehh, could be....
    saw work.jpg
    This is what I use..most of the time....
    is that just a basic old miter saw?

Yep. 14" long.

IMO, dovetails are not so much about the quality of the saw as much as the ability to saw straight to a line. One supposes that quality saws are easier to hold to the line as compared to less well designed/fabricated saws, but any finer-toothed, sharp and correctly set saw (of any price point) should do the job. Practice using your existing saw and see what you think. Drawer dovetails may only be cut in 1/4" to 1/2" thick material and don't really entail that much sawing. If you decide to go the new saw route, but need to watch the $, lots of folks rate the Lee Valley saws as a very good purchase. The amount of $ you can spend on a dovetail saw can vary and is more directly related to your personal preferences, finances and level of interest in woodworking. Without disparaging the LV saws at all, they do appear to be a very acceptable entry level-to-forever saw at a lower cost than other more "boutique" made saws at a higher price. If your existing saw is at least moderately sharp, make some practice cuts to lines, some practice dovetails, then the real deal drawer dovetails and have fun. Your friends will like the result anyway and the worst that happens is when we (the craftsman) rush to point out all of our minute mistakes to folks that neither see nor recognize the mistakes we believe are glaring.
    David

The Lee Valley backsaws are very good, and very affordable. Easily a lifetime saw too.
    If you can afford a little bit more, I find the Lie Nielsen tapered thin plate backsaws even better, and are priced ridiculously low for what they are - they are cut a bit more aggressively than the LV saws, which have a more relaxed rake and are better for starting cuts for beginners. I would pay the little bit extra and spring for the LN dovetail saw, but be careful not to kink the saw in the cut...thin plates will bend easily.

Actually, aside from a LV Info-mercials, it is more about HOW one uses a saw, NOT who made it. Doesn't matter if it is a "Dime Store" saw, or a solid gold one.....if one hasn't an idea how to use it....just a pretty wall decor....

Learn to use the saw you have now....later you can worry about them "Life-time" saws....( mine is older than I am, BTW)

Hi Adam

I would choose a saw that is about 9 - 10" long. Saws over that can be a handfull. The teeth of a dovetail saw are typically around 14 - 15 tpi. The greater the number of teeth, the smoother the action of the cut. That's about as technical as I will go with you. It's enough to show that when starting out, you want something fairly specific.

In new saws, the Veritas 14 tpi dovetail saw is the best bang for the buck, and very reasonably priced. It is a gentle saw to use - ideal for those starting down this path, and good enough to continue using into the future.

Unless you know a bit about sharpening, or can get someone to do the job for you, I would avoid a used dovetail saw (or one that looks to you like a dovetail saw), since this will take time to find and get up to speed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herd View Post
    For a first timer what saw should I use? Should I use the one I have or should I purchase a new one? If I purchase a new one is there a good quality one at a decent price?
    IMHO the answer to all three of your questions is the LV Dovetail saw. BTW- its free shipping time at LV.

Hi,
    I learned how to hand cut dovetails with a Zona saw. At the time they were about $5-7 but I see now on the Zona website they look to be about $11. I suggest the 14TPI or 18TPI one.

Maybe not a "lifetime" saw, but a perfectly fine, accurate, inexpensive saw to take you most anywhere you'd like to go in hand cut dovetailing. Guitar builders like them. I noticed that many students at the College of the Redwoods program used them also.

I think the saw itself is less important that getting plenty of practice with it.

Not that you asked, but you don't need a premium marking knife either. An Xacto knife will do just fine.

This is not to say the higher end tools are not worth it. I eased in with decent lower cost tools and then treated the higher end purchases as luxuries that I had "earned" once I got the basic skills and committed to continuing with the craft. Plus, when the time came, I had a better sense of what I wanted in a higher end saw. Good luck,
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 09-04-2017 at 2:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herd View Post
    I am building a coffee table for some friends. The table is made out of ash. There is a chance I may have enough material left over to add a drawer. If I do I want to try to make hand cut dovetails. I haven't made dovetails since high school about 7 years ago so I am pretty rusty. Right now I have a basic miter saw which I am fairly certain came with a miter box. Would this work for cutting the tails and pins? I have watched some youtube videos of how to cut them and the guys on youtube have really nice saws. For a first timer what saw should I use? Should I use the one I have or should I purchase a new one? If I purchase a new one is there a good quality one at a decent price?
    Howdy Adam and welcome to the Creek.

How big is your basic miter saw? If it is a full length saw it might be a little awkward. Many of my first dovetails were made with a 14" miter or back saw.

Do you have some scrap lumber you can use for practice? This would give you a better answer as to whether you need an improvement of your saw before starting. If the saw is a bit rough one can compensate by working away from the lines and using a chisel to clean up the joint.

Otherwise the recommendations for LV or LN saws above are sound advice.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

A fine tooth japanese pull saw will make lovely dovetails. The blade is thin but not prone to kinking. They require little effort to cut so you stay relaxed just watching the line. Much easier to master. You can't then sharpen them but they last a long time. The narrow cut is a great aid to precision. They are not that expensive.

I have to disagree regarding a good saw. A good dovetail or tenon saw will be light years ahead of any gents saw or other saw. I recommend a LV or LN tenon saw. It's a bit bigger than a dovetail saw and can be used for other applications.

I took a class and watched others struggle with gents saws while my LN went through the wood like butter. Buy the best quality saw you can afford and you won't regret it.
    Don

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    I have to disagree regarding a good saw. A good dovetail or tenon saw will be light years ahead of any gents saw or other saw. I recommend a LV or LN tenon saw. It's a bit bigger than a dovetail saw and can be used for other applications.

I took a class and watched others struggle with gents saws while my LN went through the wood like butter. Buy the best quality saw you can afford and you won't regret it.
    In one way I have to agree with what Don states above.

In another I wouldn't want to discourage someone not to try with less than an ideal saw. Working with tools that are not the latest and greatest can help a person learn how to control the work when things aren't 'perfect.'

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Don't you understand, we just can't have a topic on what tools to buy, without getting a LN or LV commercial...

It really does not matter who made the saw.....it is in HOW you use the saw.

A "Gent's Saw" had a little "broom-handle" shaped thing, hard to learn how to grip. The "pistol-grip" style dovetail saws are the better style to learn how to grip, and guide a saw. Easier to control than pushing a dowel rod shaped thing.