Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Is posting videos on youtube showing second-rate skills or results fine with you?

The only youtube I have participated in is the 6 part film we made in 1974 about making a spinet and a violin.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The only youtube I have participated in is the 6 part film we made in 1974 about making a spinet and a violin.
    ...and with that George drops the mic and struts off the stage. Well played.

For those who haven't seen the video in question, it's very much the opposite of this thread's subject. Unfortunately the copy I had a link to has been taken down.

My only video experience was demonstrating a product I designed and have manufactured. Only my hands are visible, it was shot professionally with voice overs in English and French by pro's. The editing, polish and results are worth every dollar, I would not hesitate to do it again. A U tube version would have dragged my product backwards not propelled it forwards.
    So my advice, get some help from pros, listen to their advice or better yet just let them do their job, as I did.

The film wasn't made as a you tube,but someone years later posted it in 6 segments on you tube.

Technical issues of shooting and editing aside most Utube video makers simply don't know what the viewer want's to see. The makers seeking celebrity, (or imagine they are an instant celebrity) drone on about themselves for most of the video and do little. They can't view their video in a critical way.
    There are some excellent video's like the hands showing and voice explaining how to change the broken $7 keyboard on my Blackberry.
    Only the posters name will gain celebrity.

There is a poster in Eastern Canada who dismantles tools very critically and makes 'stuff'. He uses the word "scutum" as a sign of approval for some bearing or other. You never see his face but clearly he is well educated and qualified to comment. He has a huge following based on his knowledge and humorous dismantling of tools, some of which he puts back together and sends to a lucky viewer.

There is a world of difference between content providing and celebrity seeking videos.

I've been watching the video of a shipwright from a link I found in the General Woodworking forum and I'm addicted to watching this guy work. A mix of hand and power tools. Check it out

Here it is.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-this-guy-out!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I've been watching the video of a shipwright from a link I found in the General Woodworking forum and I'm addicted to watching this guy work. A mix of hand and power tools. Check it out

Here it is.
    I just finished this series and loved every second of it. Now I want to make a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    discouraging people from posting is mean spirited in my humble opinion. We are in an age where students are able to teach and learn at the same time. I follow a few neo woodworkers on YouTube and on podcasts. I find almost all of them humble and willing to admit mistakes and self effacing. To criticize is to misunderstand and mischaracterize the experience and to underestimate the viewing public.

Cry about it as you wish. I am learning a good deal in this age and hope it continues and that the nay sayers learn to correct individual comments and be positive.
    Please show me one single post from ANYONE, not just me, who has expressed in this thread that is "underestimat[ing] the viewing public." You seem to have been misguided by your thinking that anyone who does not like to watch crappy materials (as defined by each viewer) is discouraging the production of ANY (bad or not so good or good) materials.

Either you are over-exaggerating the importance or influence of this thread or the forum itself on Youtube viewers or its material producers, or you are misunderstanding the purpose of this thread. I created the thread not to encourage or discourage the production of anything. Except in tightly controlled countries, one one has such power in the IT world. I am only interested in knowing how people -- woodworkers, specifically -- feel about videos sharing second-class woodworking practice or results. It is that simple, but somehow you think those have had a different take from yours on the videos portraying contents of second-class quality must be "criticizing" (your word, not mine, I see all comments and remarks as stated opinions, nothing more and nothing less).

Any discussion will be healthy as long as it is based on good reasoning. I have given examples of materials (need more?) I found in the public domain which show poor or wrong ways of doing things. They are the materials that I will stay from or will not promote myself. No where in any of my posts made here have I suggested that anyone should stop seeing them or producing them, have I?

Everyone learns differently, and I am glad you are learning a good deal in the way you have chosen, but I do not need to and won't follow your way or for that matter, anyone else's way of learning. In fact, I have come to the stage where I can only learn when I see inspiring work. I am motivated to step into the shop to do some work when I see perfectly or meticulously executed work. Some people will get excited when they see a 2x4 build, be my guest. Nothing is wrong there, but I only use 2x4 for my gardening work. Some will think a tail can be cut without any regard for grain direction, be my guest. But when I cut my dovetails, I cut them the way the boss says, and I am the boss. When it comes to deciding if I should spend time watching a YouTube video, I AM the boss, not the one who produced the video.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The film wasn't made as a you tube,but someone years later posted it in 6 segments on you tube.
    I was just wondering about that as I did not think YouTube has been around for that long. The year I started using YouTube was the same year I moved to my new shop and that should be a little over 10 years -- 11 or 12 years ago.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    I was just wondering about that as I did not think YouTube has been around for that long. The year I started using YouTube was the same year I moved to my new shop and that should be a little over 10 years -- 11 or 12 years ago.

Simon
    When did the Internet start for mass availability? You tube is a very recent phenomenon -- mass usage only the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Please show me one single post from ANYONE, not just me, who has expressed in this thread that is "underestimat[ing] the viewing public." You seem to have been misguided by your thinking that anyone who does not like to watch crappy materials (as defined by each viewer) is discouraging the production of ANY (bad or not so good or good) materials.

Either you are over-exaggerating the importance or influence of this thread or the forum itself on Youtube viewers or its material producers, or you are misunderstanding the purpose of this thread. I created the thread not to encourage or discourage the production of anything. Except in tightly controlled countries, one one has such power in the IT world.
    Whoa, easy there. Even if you disagree with Prashun on this point (and I actually do disagree) there is absolutely nothing to be gained by attacking the volunteer moderators who bring us SMC.

Seem to be going down the same path as most "Sharpening" threads here? Time to bury this horse? Maybe just go out and build something using wood, for a change? Usually, I have much better things to do, than sit and watch videos all the time.......unless I get very, very, very BORED.

When did the Internet start for mass availability? You tube is a very recent phenomenon -- mass usage only the last few years.
    Modem-based ISPs were mainstream (AOL/Earthlink/etc) by the mid 90s. Before that you pretty much had to have an academic or corporate "in". I think I was on starting in the mid 80s.

YouTube was founded in 2005 and expanded pretty rapidly, for example Simon's "11-12 years" means he was on in 2005 or 2006. It was well established when my current employer purchased it for $1.7B in late 2006 (note that that was long before the current era of multi-billion-dollar startup "Unicorns").

Absolutely, positively not speaking for my employer, Google.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-05-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Here it is.
    Yep, that's a really good one as well.

The common thread between that and the video of George is of course that they both know their stuff (and know they know it). Where people get into trouble is when their self-perception is totally out of whack.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Whoa, easy there. Even if you disagree with Prashun on this point (and I actually do disagree) there is absolutely nothing to be gained by attacking the volunteer moderators who bring us SMC.
    Attacking? That is a serious word, Patrick. No one is attacking anyone here. I am simply stating that no one has been underestimating anyone or any material, unless proof is shown otherwise. A broad stroke of brush does no good to any discussion and people, moderators included, should understand that.

Edit: If I had been ever in an attack mode, I would have used sentences like "challenge someone to prove his words," "prove where I am wrong," or whatnot. I am not an attacker in any sense, but I am a strong defender. Some of you may not agree, that is fine with me, too.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 09-05-2017 at 12:24 PM.