Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to learn about industrial wood working. Where to go?

Sorry Brian but I disagree most people have furniture in their homes from Ikea,Living spaces,Mathis bros,Pottry barn the list goes on. I see no advertising from the highend stuff.Not even Thomas moser.
    But Crate and barrel rustic farm tables made from Indonesian rubber wood all day long.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Two companies I mentioned are publicly owned, you can google their sales figures, projections, product line, retail locations and so forth.

Walk down a street in Soho, or Beverly Hills and you'll see their product along side the famous Danish and Italian makers.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 09-03-2017 at 1:16 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    The days of the furniture craftsman is over
    There are plenty of small business and hobby craftsman furniture makers, some of whom are SMC members, that might disagree.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    There are plenty of small business and hobby craftsman furniture makers, some of whom are SMC members, that might disagree.
    In a literal sense, you are correct. In a statistical model they are insignificant contributors to production. (Kinda like thinking the home garden is significant to farming numbers here in the USA.)

Consumers with any free money and any idea of what quality is are directly proportionate and shrinking in numbers daily.

The Craftsman and the Artist Craftsman what is the difference?
    An example when a artist craftsman makes a cutting board he will be more concerned about how it looks.The pattern of all the different woods he carefully selected and arranged for the best look.

When a craftsman makes a cutting board he is more concerned about how it will be used.It also needs to be affordable so more thought is put into making a board fast that will last and serve the needs of the buyer.
    This is a example of what I've come to realize. One year i made cutting boards for christmas and handed them out to friends and family.Not many wanted to use them because they were too pretty i failed as a craftsman. But succeed as a artist.
    A craftsman is a higher calling.
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 09-04-2017 at 12:30 AM.
    Aj

Could probably start a whole new thread dedicated to what is an interesting topic. I'd agree there are fewer craftsmen furniture makers working in a production environment. But a true craftsman isn't defined by his/her employment status. I don't agree that "The days of the furniture craftsman is over" unless your criteria for craftsman is employment in a particular industry.

But I know what you mean.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    There are a lot of studio shops in Kansas City but aren't large by any means.. Where I work at is being restructured. We are hiring 25 employees to start just to level out.

According to the owner of our company,there are no restaurant furniture companies in the U.S. who is "king of the hill". Our company wants to be the first..

We are turning down contracts left and right. We can't handle anymore. The company already does 500hrs a week in overtime... I'm working Labor Day and still looking for an apprentice...
    Last edited by jack duren; 09-03-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Key word "small"...

Jack, why is that a key word? I don't recall seeing a definition of Craftsman that includes a reference to volume output.
    Scott Vroom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Are there really furniture factory's in the USA.I know about Thos Moser nothing.Dont know anyone that can afford to buy from them.
    Hooker furniture was the last of the Giants. The days of the furniture craftsman is over
    Stickley Furniture makes some really nice furniture. Stickley offers public tours of their Manlius factory at 1 Stickley Drive Manlius, NY 13104 every Tuesday at 10:00AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post

According to the owner of our company,there are no restaurant furniture companies in the U.S. who is "king of the hill". Our company wants to be the first..
    just like home building, restaurants are built by a gc. That gc has a relationship with whomever is building the fixtures he needs. That's a massive market to try and take a big chunk out of.

I wonder what the yearly sales would be, and what kind of staff would be required to even take a 1% bite out of that segment.

Blog Entries
    We rarely do small restaurants. There mainly after large contracts.. We did work for the mercedes benz stadium in Georgia before it opened.. http://www.midwestcabinet.com/ is our sister company...

Blog Entries
    Here's am example of the problem. We took on maple street biscuit company We took 5 days to do one store. I have 2 days to do another store. See a problem

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Here's am example of the problem. We took on maple street biscuit company We took 5 days to do one store. I have 2 days to do another store. See a problem
    Yeah, much easier to just supply the parts to someone else that can put them together and install them.

I always get in a pickle trying to bite off too big of a hunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Stickley Furniture makes some really nice furniture. Stickley offers public tours of their Manlius factory at 1 Stickley Drive Manlius, NY 13104 every Tuesday at 10:00AM.
    There is also Harden Furniture not far from there. They go from log to finished product in a single facility.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!