Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oneway coring system

Oneway coring system

Hello, I have an opportunity to purchase a complete ONEWAY CORING SYSTEM it is for a 24 inch swing. I have the POWERMATIC 3520 with the 20 inch swing. The owner of the Deal says I can just cut down the post and start coring. Has anyone done this with success? Thanks in advance, Kevin

Your other option is to buy a new base that fits your lathe...I went from a 20 up to a 24" swing and got a new base...sold my old one.
    I like the system a lot. They also now make carbide cutters for this system.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    ...The owner of the Deal says I can just cut down the post and start coring. Has anyone done this with success?
    Kevin, you can modify almost anything with the right tools, but an advantage of buying a new base and not cutting anything is if you decide to sell it someday you will be able to offer it to a wider audience. If the bases are interchangable you might even be ably to sell the 24" base to someone who already has the system and moved to a 24" lathe.

But to your question. i do a lot of metal work but I've never looked at the Oneway. If it has a standard solid tool post that fits in a banjo, cutting that down is a 10 minute job - I just cut down a spare Robust tool rest to fit a smaller lathe. If the "post" that needs to be cut down is more complicated, say is a machined part with brackets and hardware to tighten it may require things like drilling, tapping, maybe welding. Maybe describe the design and show some photos. Or someone who has one might.

JKJ

4. One of the clubs I belong to is going to be having a coring demo on 9/19, where the Oneway EasyCore, McNaughton, and my Woodcut BowlSaver Max 3 will be demonstrated all in one evening. I will be showing my system. It will be a great way to show our nearly 100 members the systems and their pluses/minuses. I can say that I am pretty happy with my WoodCut BowlSaver Max 3. It can adapt from 18-24" lathes. The earlier Bowlsaver could go from 14-20 if I recall correctly, which I may not be accurate on that, without looking it up.

That reminds me........I have to rough out a coring blank soon!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

McNaughton bowl saver DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    One of the clubs I belong to is going to be having a coring demo on 9/19, where the Oneway EasyCore, McNaughton, and my Woodcut BowlSaver Max 3 will be demonstrated all in one evening.
    Roger, if you can use or know anyone who wants the McNaughton bowl saver DVD I have one and that I didn't find until after I sold my McNaughton. (And can't remember who bought it.) I'd be willing to trade it for a piece of wood or for the recipient to make a small donation to a local children's charity.

I think it's this one:
    https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...ed-Edition-DVD

JKJ

I don't have my oneway system in front of me, and I'm going by memory here, but that doesn't sound right.

The knives are shared between the different bases. They rest on something inside the tube. Presumably it's higher on the taller bases. Does it move up and down? Can you adjust the knives enough so they'll work if the tube is 2" shorter? I don't know. But I'd look at it very carefully before you buy it if that's your plan.

Also remember that you probably need a replacement for the bed gap bolt thing since I don't think they're the same.

Kevin yes you can change the Easy core system, you will have to shorten the heavy base tubing and also the shafts from the knife sets.

On the bottom of the support finger and also on the knife bar shaft is an adjuster so you can adjust the set exactly for your lathe and have to do that only once

I will add a couple of pictures, so you can see this for your self, rather than having to go by all the talk of those that do not have one or even used or seen one.

A clamp block that fits your lathe is needed also, Oneway makes those in 15 different sizes, just measure the distance between your lathes bed ways,

Easy coring system.jpg Easy core knife set.jpg Easy core knife sets.jpg ! of 15 clamp block sizes.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Well, I looked at my set for 20" swing lathes and the pins inside the tubes that the knives actually ride on appear to be adjustable in height, or at least are removable with a set screw. So presumably you really can cut them down. Also if it was 2" taller, you'd only have to cut about an inch off one side and maybe 1.5" on the other. So very doable.

Did you do anything on this Kevin? Buy a new base or modify the existing one meant for 24" swing?
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

The used deal fell thru, he decided to keep it. I bought a new one direct from ONEWAY with the two smaller knives.
    i used it for the first time today. Very impressed. I got 3 bowls from a 13 inch Norway Maple Burl. Very user friendly.
    ONEWAY told me you can just buy the Knife & Support tube for around $60

Thanks for answering Kevin. In the same boat as you were, just trying to determine which route to pick.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I had not heard of the carbide tipped cutters for the Oneway. Went to the web site and couldn't find it there, so I sent an e-mail. They said yes, the rumor is true, and gave me a part number, but I still could not find it. I asked if they could send a picture. Waiting....

robo hippy

The Oneway coring system is easy to modify. Mine was originally for a 16" swing, then I lengthened the tubes for a 24" swing and the last modification I shortened the tubes for a 18" swing. There is some adjustability with a set screw in the bottom of the shafts but it is more for fine tuning then making large adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I had not heard of the carbide tipped cutters for the Oneway. Went to the web site and couldn't find it there, so I sent an e-mail. They said yes, the rumor is true, and gave me a part number, but I still could not find it. I asked if they could send a picture. Waiting....

robo hippy
    Reed, Craft Supply has the carbide cutter listed on line for $50. https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...coring+systems

In order to have your Oneway easycore system fit the swing of your lathe you only need to buy the different length base tubes, not the whole base plate system. Oneway does not explain this on their website but if you call them they will let you know what is “only” needed to fit your system to a new swing. Apparently the cost is only approx. $50 Can. There is no need to cut down the existing tubes at that price.