Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: v board.

thank you for the replies & ideas. The benefit to this is I don't have much to make. That was another reason I was curious about just making it myself.

I also appreciate the support from those that understand my question, & understood I wasn't bein a "snot." I'm not new to woodworking, but like others, have questions & am willing to learn from others point of view. But refuse to be talked down to by anyone, as I'm sure you all are. Thank you again for your help & replies.
    Sawdust703

Brad,

I once made some "v board" as a decorative touch on a small box lid. I would advise not using a router bit that forms a real acute angle, as it ends up not looking much like a "v". As always, do some scrap first.

I am thinking that "v" board is something that used to be called "car siding". It was typically low quality pine that was tongue and groove with that V milled on the edges. At one time it was cheap as dirt, then it got to be trendy..... Oh, it was called car siding because it was used to line the inside of railroad cars, why I do not know????

BTW, Marty? It looks like the "interweb" thinks you are pretty much a royal PITA. See ya around, Marty.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Yes, you could make "v board".

Just make tongue and groove 1x 6 and then cut the small 45 near each side with a router.

I am shocked that people do not know what v board is. Try a Google for "pine v board".
    I would call it "paneling" Not "V" board.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Blog Entries
    Instead of repeating comments made in poor taste, please just report the offense and let the moderators deal with it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

i wondered about that, Nick. I'm willing to try anything feasible. I'm more cautious with old age.
    Sawdust703

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    For a one shot deal, I would just use plywood, with a straight edge, a router and V bit. Spacer it over to keep the pattern going.
    this is exactly what I'm thinking, Rick! Thank you, Sir! After doin' some research, this is the solution I've come up with. Thank you Sir!
    Sawdust703

Sir? Wow, have I moved up in the world. You should hear what they call me at home.

Thanks, glad to help.

Shoot us a pic, when it's done.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I'm going to make some paneling with this set from mlcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mikits View Post
    I'm going to make some paneling with this set from mlcs.

Being in the repair business, more than once I have had to match existing boards. Because today's lumber is narrower than older stuff, I have to start with the next width board, and cut it to width. Instead of T&G, I use lap joints. Cut the "V" using my Sears molding head. Corab cutters makes cutters for both Sears and Delta molding heads, FYI. Be aware that the chip bin fills rapidly. DAMHIK!
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 08-30-2017 at 9:36 PM.

where I come from Mr. Rick, it's called respect, brother. I appreciate your suggestion. At this point, I haven't been able to find any used v board panels, so I'm going to go with your suggestion. Using pallet wood glued together to make a panel, I'm just going to cut v's in the panel, & go from there.
    Sawdust703

The pallet wood should take care of the 'rustic' problem. Sounds like a good idea.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

thank you, Mr. Rick. If I took the time to type out how my customer wants this to look in her words on the paper she handed me, it'd take me all afternoon I'm "technologically illiterate" in a lot of ways. I ain't figgered out the picture part yet onto here yet, but am working on it.
    I figgered w/the pallet wood, I could get darker to lighter colors in the same panel, which is what she wants. I just hate the thought of running pallet lumber thru my planer & jointer. But, at the moment, all I can do is research & gather ideas for the project. I'm confined to the house w/sinus & ear infection my allergies have had a mind of their own for goin' on a month. I may be ringin' your phone for more assistance, if you don't mind. Thank you again for your time, Sir. Ya get a chance, & want to, jump over to our fb page "Sawdust Haven" & have a look see at our work. I'd be interested in your feedback.
    Sawdust703