Thread: Cutting Spindle Sander Sleeves?

Cutting Spindle Sander Sleeves?

I ended up with several 60 grit sanding sleeves 3/4 to 3" sizes for my spindle sander. They happen to be twice as long as what the tool calls for. I would like to cut them in half but assume the process will dull/ruin anything I use to cut them. What do you guys find to be the least offensive method to accomplish this? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    I ended up with several 60 grit sanding sleeves 3/4 to 3" sizes for my spindle sander. They happen to be twice as long as what the tool calls for. I would like to cut them in half but assume the process will dull/ruin anything I use to cut them. What do you guys find to be the least offensive method to accomplish this? Thanks
    I keep special heavy duty scissors just for cutting sandpaper but that wouldn't work on the sleeves. I haven't tried cutting sanding sleeves but my first thought would be to try a thin 4.5" abrasive cutoff wheel on an angle grinder, perhaps while rotating the sleeve. The sleeves I use are pretty stiff but if not I might slide them on a wooden mandrel for support, held in a lathe chuck. If the grit wore down the cutoff wheel too quickly a diamond tile/stone blade might do it. Interesting problem.

JKJ

I would try a box cutter.

I use an old steel saw blade that came with my radial arm saw many years ago which I have never found a use for except exactly this purpose. I set the blade low on my table saw, use the fence and do many at a time so they're always available.

I kept the cheap-o blade that came with my bandsaw for just such purposes.

How about using a hacksaw in a home-made miter jig (if a straight 90-degree cut is needed)?
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 08-28-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Hacksaw + jig?

Thanks for all your ideas, just what I was hoping for. I used a hacksaw on the first one before I posted. I mounted it on the rubber mandrel for support extending off the end so I could make the cut. It worked... but, the saw won't cut much else at this point. Hadn't thought of the cut-off wheel or the old blades... that is what I love about forums