Thread: Grizzly G0453 planer tapers boards across width

Grizzly G0453 planer tapers boards across width

Hi everyone! I just picked up a used Grizzly G0453 planer with a spiral head. I was excited to put this through its paces, but now it appears that boards are being tapered about 1/16 or more across the full 15" width. I'm not sure what to do and I couldn't find an answer in the manual (unless I missed it). I woundn't be suprised if something got knocked out of whack when moving it. Any help would be appreciated!

If someone doesn't solve it for you here, call Grizzly tech support tomorrow (570) 546-9663 and they'll tell you how to make the adjustment. You're gonna love the spiral head.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Thanks!! That might be the route I have to take. I can't for the life of me figure this out!

Download the manual from Grizzly's website. It should tell how to make all of the adjustments to planer, including this one. I believe that there is a chain on the the underside of the planer that links the two threaded shafts that adjust the bed height. I believe this is where the adjustment needs to be made, but I wouldn't attempt doing so without the instructions. You'll probably want to make all of the other adjustments detailed in the manual, too. It's amazing how mis-adjusted things can be on a used planer. Once you get it all set up, I expect you'll be very happy with the planer.

My guess is the chain slipped one tooth or link between the two or four lift screws for the bed. or the bed rollers are out of wack. I would find the manual and instructions before I loosen much.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-27-2017 at 8:34 PM.

Thanks everyone. The chain adjustment seems straightforward in principle but it's a real pain in the butt! I messed around with it for an hour or so and didn't have much luck. I'll see what Grizzly tech support has to say. Thanks!!

Check the height of the bed rollers, so they are the same on both ends. You can drop them down and just work from bed.

Blog Entries
    My hope would be bad bed roller settings. I place mine below the table so they are not effective. Since I am not doing higher speed 'skip' planing of really rough timber I do not really need the bed rollers to be in play. If the bed roller height is consistent or they are even with or below the table surface, someone may have skipped a tooth on the table height adjustment chain. I have never had to recover this setting but, even in the manual they warn that it can be persnickety. If I had to worry through a chain fix I would call Grizzly first. Best of luck, and I'm hoping for the rollers.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Could be the bed rollers or chain and sprockets underneath the bed. It would be a long shot but maybe the top is not seated on the 4 post all the way on one side.