Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pencil for compass

Pencil for compass

Any suggestions for a good pencil for use on a compass. Not for fine work but for marking bowl blanks.
    I make circles on chain saw cut bowl blanks and constantly break the lead off.
    If that is my biggest problem, I guess I am pretty lucky. Thanks in advance, Kevin

For marking bowl blanks, I use a different approach. I cut free cardboard to make templates. Draw circles 6",7",8" up to 16"(max capacity for my lathe). Use a screw in the center to fix to the rough blank. Bandsaw around the template. When the template gets ragged, make a new one.

When I don't use 1/4" circle templates, I use dividers to scratch a line in the wood or bark. I retrace the line with chalk or a red or yellow marking craoyla. Template is best for most chainsaw cutting.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

4. Dividers, electrical tape and a carpenters (flat) pencil, or a lumber crayon.

I just eye it when cutting with a chainsaw. Leave enough extra that you can turn it off on the lathe.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I cut parallel lines on a slab, take it to a work bench and put the slab on a lazy susan, then use a divider/compass and just scratch a line. I do use a detail light to be able to see the circle line. Then round it out on the bandsaw. You can use a sharpie type pen to high light the line if you need it.

robo hippy

Like Dwight, I have a set of circles (1/8" hardboard) that I have had for years. I take half a log section, minus the pith, and on the bark side I screw the appropriate size template. Lay it on the bandsaw flat side down and saw 1/2" or so outside the template. Flip it over, and use the same template to mark the approx center for a worm screw hole. Or, if you are doing a natural edge, you already have the center marked.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Like John I nail on a template but on the bark side--turn the flat side down and cut around the template. It moves a bit but is no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    Any suggestions for a good pencil for use on a compass. Not for fine work but for marking bowl blanks.
    I make circles on chain saw cut bowl blanks and constantly break the lead off.
    If that is my biggest problem, I guess I am pretty lucky. Thanks in advance, Kevin
    Blanks with moderately flat tops and bottoms (not bark?)

I use heavy compass made to hold a standard #2 pencil. A thumb screw in the side digs into the pencil wood and holds it. The lead wears quickly but never breaks. I think I bought it at Woodcraft or Highland Hardware 15 years ago. It would be easy enough to make one from a couple of sticks of wood, tighten the joint with a wingnut. I've thought about making one to hold a sharpie for rough work. If moderately flat on the top and bottom and the lathe is big enough you can put the blank between centers and draw a circle with a sharpie while rotating the lathe by hand.

I save the draftsman's compass with fine lead to mark smooth boards/slabs/planks.

For moderately smooth wood I also use a template but prefer one made from clear plastic. This lets me see the figure and defects through the plastic and position the circle perfectly. I have one with concentric circles up to about 10" I think. After positioning, I use an awl to hold it in place through a hole in the center then use a standard pencil in one of the radius holes to draw the circle. If the face of the blank is rough I still might use this with a pencil but it will only hit the high spots - then sketch in the circle with a sharpie before bandsawing round.

For very rough wood and bark I prefer a solid template and mark with a sharpie, usually red, then cut with the bandsaw.

JKJ

If your compass with accept the larger size try a Ticonderoga. These are the fat pencils which kids learn to write with, about the same size lead as a lumber pencil.
    Or a grease pencil/china marker.. will write on most anything.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I went out to the shop to check and the Grizzly trammel points will accept a lumber pencil.
    Grizzly H5876
    The steel point can be removed from the one to hold the pencil. You can make any diameter you desire.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I have put a ball point pen in a compass that I use for marking blanks. Works for me.
    Last edited by Harold Walsh; 08-28-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: left out the word "pen" in the sentence.

13. I just purchased one from Amazon.com last week for marking bowl blanks, even though I do use some circle templates as well. Just search "large pencil compass". In the Amazon.com search bar. I like the one I got...all metal and locks in place securely. I tried to copy a pic with my ipad, but it would not work, so do the search.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post
    If your compass with accept the larger size try a Ticonderoga. These are the fat pencils which kids learn to write with, about the same size lead as a lumber pencil.
    Or a grease pencil/china marker.. will write on most anything.
    Great pencils for marking dips, ridges and flat areas when finish cutting or sanding out irregularities on or inside of bowls. Wow that's quite a sentence. LOL
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I just purchased one from Amazon.com last week for marking bowl blanks, even though I do use some circle templates as well. Just search "large pencil compass". In the Amazon.com search bar. I like the one I got...all metal and locks in place securely. I tried to copy a pic with my ipad, but it would not work, so do the search.
    Roger, I tried to look one up.
    I did find a "large pencil compass" meaning a large diameter compass but only takes a standard pencil
    I think he needs a "large pencil" compass meaning one that accepts a large pencil with tougher/thicker lead.
    Maybe I missed it in my search.