Thread: Spalted curly Maple finish

Spalted curly Maple finish

Greetings all. I have a bunch of Sugar(Rock) Maple boards from a tree I had sawed up a few years ago that are both spalted and figured/curly(to varying degrees). I've read, studied and experimented until my head hurts and I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction, if there is one. I'm trying to pop the curls w/o altering the colors of the spalting dramatically.

I've tried just a coat of de-waxed shellac, which did bring out the curls a bit more, but I'd like to see if I can't get more. I've never used a dye, which appears to be a popular choice for grain popping, but I'm afraid it would alter the spalted coloration more than I may want. Anyway, I'm open to suggestions/pointers that may help me. I'd like to have my cake and eat it too but also realize I may not have a choice... spalting or curls, not both. Thanks, Jim

I like to use an oil(Watco Danish Oil or MinWax Antique Oil Finish) to bring out depth of spalted woods. Spalted woods will take in finish like a sponge in a lot of places so be prepared to use a grain filler(Aqua Coat) if you want a smooth(glass like) finish. I don't often go for the glass like finish on spalted woods as it looks too much like a glass coating(IMHO), not natural enough to suit me.

Jim

IMG_9051.jpg2011-11-17 20.41.18.jpg5.jpg

Nothing to add for the OP, but those are gorgeous, Jim.

John

John,
    Thanks for the kind words..... I really like/use a lot of spalted woods.
    Jim