Thread: Full overlay 1-3/4" hinges?

Blog Entries

Full overlay 1-3/4" hinges?

Hi all,
    Looking to slice up some maple plywood and make flush, full overlay cabinet doors for my kitchen. The face frame measure 1-3/4".. anyone know of any hinge that will achieve this? Any other suggestions?
    Thanks a lot!

IMG_0601.jpgIMG_0599.jpgIMG_0600.jpg
    Last edited by mike waters; 08-26-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Not sure what you mean by flush, full overlay? Guessing that you want the door to cover the face frame in which case the largest overlay I've seen in the Blum range for "normal" hinge mounting are 39C355B.25 at 1 9/16 overlay. You can go to almost any size overlay with a face mount 38B which goes from 1 3/8 to any overlay.

So you're trying to cover the faceframe, right? If so, the Blum Compact 33 hinges can do what you want. The one downside to them is that there is a 3/16" gap between the back of the door and the front of the face frame. Generally that can be accommodated, but you do have to think about it before you build the cabinets.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Andy, I am not sure if the correct terminology. By flush I just mean, flat? Like not router work or anything. Just cutting the plywood and banding the edges.
    Do the face mounts have a soft close option? Do they still lush the door out and over, so doors don't touch eachother?

added pictures to original post
    Last edited by mike waters; 08-26-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    So you're trying to cover the faceframe, right? If so, the Blum Compact 33 hinges can do what you want. The one downside to them is that there is a 3/16" gap between the back of the door and the front of the face frame. Generally that can be accommodated, but you do have to think about it before you build the cabinets.
    hi! Thanks for the reply. I added some pictures to the original thread

Pretty much anything you would ever want to know about Blum hinges can be found here: https://www.blum.com/us/en/02/90/

John

Don't you need half of that since you will have double doors and a door hinged on both sides frame?

Quote Originally Posted by mike waters View Post
    Thanks Andy, I am not sure if the correct terminology. By flush I just mean, flat? Like not router work or anything. Just cutting the plywood and banding the edges.
    Do the face mounts have a soft close option? Do they still lush the door out and over, so doors don't touch eachother?

added pictures to original post
    Mike, the ones I listed are soft close. I think you mean slab doors and yes the doors don't touch each other. You will need a reveal as per the mounting instructions in the Blum catalog. John posted a link to the website where you can download the full manual. There is also an Excel worksheet that will take you through a set of questions to determine the best hinge for you and provide a dimensioned drawing for drilling your doors and frames

Blog Entries
    Yes, on most of them. But for the doors that are on the ends of the cabinet, they are 1-3/4"

Mike,
    If nothing else, you can cut a filler strip to fill half the width of the face frame at the same depth as the front of your slabs are from the front of the face frame. Essentially, it's just the overlaid portion of the next door over if the wall wasn't there. Hope that makes sense.

Good luck,
    Andrew

You can get a maximum 41mm overlay with this hinge http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...6&d=1494299230. I think that is about the best you can do. Note that you have to use an angle restriction clip in this situation.