Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Harvey

Hurricane Harvey

Hi, reading the news reports regarding hurricane Harvey.

Hoping all my virtual forum friends in the path of the storm stay safe.

It's hard for me to imagine a storm like that, we don't get severe storms where I live normally..............Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    In Galveston county at 7:30 AM there has been no flooding ay this time. The wind is gusty.
    There is rain. My son in Hitchcock lives near the water. They have no issues either. You can see the
    Inter-coastal waterway from his balcony.

I saw the Galveston mayor's press conference yesterday (...seems like this ain't his first rodeo!); very impressive knowledge and planning effort. I hope it bears fruit.

He commented on an old adage, "hunker down for wind, run from water." I'm seeing predictions of as much as 40" of rain by Thursday, so I hope this doesn't get worse before it gets better.

Be careful out there!

I'm hoping for the best for all the folks who live in that very large, affected area. The challenge with this storm isn't going to be the initial push, it's going to be the many days of rain that in some places may get close to as much as 3 feet of precipitation. That doesn't bode well if it holds true.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    This is not the first rodeo for any of us in Galveston County. We live about 20 miles inland.
    We are experiencing occasional rain, but no wind. I really don't expect much out of this.
    The real danger is that tornado's can crop up in an instant. We have never experienced one.

I hope everybody is safe and dry. Thoughts a prayers to everybody in the path of this storm.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Galveston must have been hit hard Lowell. I hope you and your family are safe.

One of my colleagues has a family house in the dunes of Port Aransas. They boarded it up last week but I think he will not actually know if it's still there for several days. The areas may still be inaccessible.

Erik

Not flooded, but power is out. It was 23 days wo power last time... Hope not this time.

Blog Entries
    Thoughts and prayers to the people in Texas.

It must be extremely difficult.

PHM

I hope everyone is safe. If you're in the area and have Internet access, please report on what the situation is.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    One of my colleagues has a family house in the dunes of Port Aransas. They boarded it up last week but I think he will not actually know if it's still there for several days. The areas may still be inaccessible.
    That seems to be one of the hardest hit towns, based on news stories I've seen. Terrible destruction...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Anyone heard from Lowell?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Anyone heard from Lowell?
    ...He is probably without power, but hopefully not flooded. In this case, his proximity to the beach may be a good thing, as the water has somewhere to go close-by.

Houston area missed the wind's 'bull's-eye' by about 200 miles (eye hit ~Rockport/Port Aransas), but reports are accurate that they caught biblical rain amounts. (This morning, I heard 11 trillion gallons of rain in Texas so far; >400 billion in Harris county (Houston).) And now Corps of Engineers has had to open flood gates upstream of Houston to relieve pressure on dams.

I spent yesterday trying to remotely shepherd my brother and his family out of west Houston and up to the north. FYI - Life360 is a really nice cell phone app to have in such situations.

Update: News now report Dickinson under evac order; clearly I was wrong about flooding. Lowell, I hope you and your's are safe.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 08-28-2017 at 6:40 PM. Reason: news update

My younger brother lives in Corpus Christi - he called Sunday night to indicate that he and his wife are fine (they got out in advance), but that their house had taken a hit - part of the roof got tore off, and their living room had been exposed to all the rain. He had tarp-ed the roof, but didn't know how long the tarp would stand up to the wind. The connection we had was poor, so I wasn't able to understand much more than that.