Thread: Hurricane M2 Cyro tools

Hurricane M2 Cyro tools

Like to hear from turners that have bought these and what they think of them

They look very similar to the other "cyro" tools made by Crown and sold under various names. I've never used one but I assume they're very good tools.

I think they're kind of oddly positioned in the market, though, as for a little more money you can get the CPM super steel tools.

3. Crown makes these tools for several vendors. I have the Pinnacle 5/8" cryogenic gouge by them made for WoodCraft. It holds an edge about 2 to 3 times longer than regular HHS. Crown makes David Ellsworth's signature gouges, and some other notables......they are generally good tools/higher end stuff.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

M2 HSS is the lower grade of HSS. I think you would be better served with either M42 Cobalt or V10.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Like John said, M42 or V10. I was chatting with Dave Schweitzer of D Way Tools about metals a month or three ago, and his comments about the cryo work is that it does a little, but it depends more on the metal than the freezing work. The 'lasts 2,3,4,5 times longer' means that it can keep a working edge longer, but you still want a fresh edge for finish cuts. He's forgotten more about metal than I will ever learn, but then again, I just know how to grind it...

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    M2 HSS is the lower grade of HSS. I think you would be better served with either M42 Cobalt or V10.
    Not a turner. But I've ordered ,ground ,and used lots of high speed steel. M42 is a "higher grade" HSS. But I dare say that the biggest problem with M2 is that since there is a "semi high speed steel" of "same hardness" as M2 ....many times it is sold as M2. Unlike M2 it has little heat resistance and quickly degrades. It's a big problem that will eventually make a big law suit. Few years back I wrote to one of the big woodworking magazines about it . They made no reply.

The three characteristics often discussed and considered regarding turning tools are hardness, toughness and wear resistance. Getting a good balance for all three is desirable, but some woods present different challenges for each characteristic. A good discussion can be found here - https://www.crucible.com/eselector/g...eralpart1.html.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    The three characteristics often discussed and considered regarding turning tools are hardness, toughness and wear resistance. Getting a good balance for all three is desirable, but some woods present different challenges for each characteristic. A good discussion can be found here - https://www.crucible.com/eselector/g...eralpart1.html.

Thanks a lot for the link, John... now my brain hurts. I think I blew a synapse or something....