Thread: Dust collection safety

Dust collection safety

Hello,
    I am installing an Oneida V-3000 dust collection unit. I am not the most experienced and I have a general safety question. In reviewing the directions/instructions the manual states that the 35 gallon fiber dust drum (cardboard drum) should be opened and checked at the end of each day the system is used. This is required to check for smoldering sawdust/chips etc. Does anyone have an opinion on the need for this. I want to be safe in the shop, but opening the dust collection barrel each day seems a bit excessive. Thanks, Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jack dempsey View Post
    Hello,
    I am installing an Oneida V-3000 dust collection unit. I am not the most experienced and I have a general safety question. In reviewing the directions/instructions the manual states that the 35 gallon fiber dust drum (cardboard drum) should be opened and checked at the end of each day the system is used. This is required to check for smoldering sawdust/chips etc. Does anyone have an opinion on the need for this. I want to be safe in the shop, but opening the dust collection barrel each day seems a bit excessive. Thanks, Jack
    I have a fiber drum on my DC and have never checked it unless I can smell burning from something I've been cutting (which I never have - yet :-)). So far the shop is still intact. I do make a practice of emptying the drum once I've finished a project, so that it's not sitting there half full for a prolonged period. I don't use my DC with a floor sweep, just for collecting from machines, and don't cut anything other than wood if that's relevant.

I have an Oneida with a fiber drum and do not check it. However, if I was cutting damp wood or something that might create a spark I would check.

Thanks for your comments. Both are good advice, seems to me a common sense approach.

I wonder why they mention that a fiber drum should be checked daily and not the drum of any kind. I have the steel 35 gallon drum under my V-3000 and while I understand the steel drum itself isnt going to ignite, a fire is a fire and sawdust igniting I would think would happen just the same regardless of what material the drum is made of.

That said I have never checked mine at the end of the day.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Perhaps they are more concerned with hot chips, etc. igniting the drum rather then them igniting on their own.

I have no clue, but that's what popped into my mind.

Scott

I have a fiber drum on my Oneida, and I don't check it.

I also don't use my DC at my drillpress to prevent pulling hot metal into the system.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ben, that is an interesting point. I did not realize that the metal canister for the V-3000 does not come with the same directives. I guess like a lot of things a large dose of common sense should suffice. Ken brings up a good point with regards to using it with a drill press where I can imagine metal bits could enter the dust collector. Like Ken, I do not plan on using the dust collector at the drill press. As for the V-3000 have you been satisfied with the performance of the machine?
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jack dempsey View Post
    Ben, that is an interesting point. I did not realize that the metal canister for the V-3000 does not come with the same directives. I guess like a lot of things a large dose of common sense should suffice. Ken brings up a good point with regards to using it with a drill press where I can imagine metal bits could enter the dust collector. Like Ken, I do not plan on using the dust collector at the drill press. As for the V-3000 have you been satisfied with the performance of the machine?
    Jack
    VERY! Thing has been nothing but awesome for me.

File Nov 25, 4 25 05 PM small.jpg

But remember its just a motor and cyclone, the rest of the parts need to me optimized as much as possible for the whole dust collection system to work well. That includes ducting, sealing and possible tool modifications to improve the dust collection. Once you get all that dialed in it is very possible to have little to no dust escaping any tool. My shop is always clean except for when have to make cuts on the table saw without the over blade dust collection on it. Thats about the only tool that makes dust my dust collection system wont grab all of.

Check out my threads on making your own version of the Oneida Dust Sentry Bin Sensor and Filter Efficiency Gauge: LINK and LINK
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 08-28-2017 at 1:55 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Oh my ... another shop risk. I too am very careful about metal. I cut and grind outside when possible and turn off dust collection for any inside metal work. But I never thought about damp wood. I basically only open the bin if it needs emptying, or to better understand whether I have enough collection left to start and finish an operation without having to empty mid-stream. Just added another caution to my workflow.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Ben,
    Thanks for the information. I will check out the links as well.
    Jack

Bill,
    I guess the fact that I really do not do a lot metal is somewhat settling. Like you I had not thought of damp wood, I will need to keep this in mind as well.
    I am glad this was pointed out as a consideration.
    Jack

Why would damp wood be risky?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Why would damp wood be risky?
    I was wondering that also?

Doug

There is the possibility of spontaneous combustion.