Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lathe question

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon SPEAKS View Post
    To get size and evs you get into the $2000-$2800 range, at that kind of price this would have to be "the lathe" for probably 10 years at least. Even the 110 ones would be a huge upgrade for me and very likely keep me happy for quite some time, but when spending that much I would hate to wonder "what if I had the grizz, or the 240 version of this one."
    Craigslist shows a Jet 1642 variable speed 110v lathe for $1350 in SC. I paid not much more than that for a good used one for a second lathe. A friend found one for $1200. Several people I know have been turning happily on these for 10 years or so.

JKJ

I have been searching daily in Minneapolis area with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon SPEAKS View Post
    I have been searching daily in Minneapolis area with no luck.
    You might expand your search. I drove about 1200 miles round trip to bring back a good deal on a gently used Powermatic 3520b in a U-Haul trailer.

JKJ

I'd be *really* sure your single outlet circuit really is a single outlet circuit. Such things are rare in my experience. But if it is, the material cost of converting it to 220v should be about $20. With a rudimentary understanding of writing it's an easy DIY job. Replace 1 pole breaker with 2 pole breaker. Black on hot, white (originally from neutral) to the other hot, ground stays on ground. Replace outlet. Done.

But personally I'd never buy anything less than 3hp lathe. If you really dig into the wood it's easy to stall even a 2hp 220v motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    ...converting it to 220v should be about $20. With a rudimentary understanding of writing it's an easy DIY job. Replace 1 pole breaker with 2 pole breaker. Black on hot, white (originally from neutral) to the other hot, ground stays on ground. Replace outlet. Done.
    You forgot a critical step: paint each end of the white wire with a color or wrap with colored electrical tape. This is required to indicate the white is hot. I like to use the black liquid tape which forms a tough rubber bond.

The whole job should only take 15-20 minutes, a bit longer if you have to move or double up on other breakers to make room for the 2-pole breaker. Have a flashlight handy and a helper to hold it unless there is a window near or you work the box hot. Without experience, as mentioned, a friend there to advise is the way to go.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    You forgot a critical step: paint each end of the white wire with a color or wrap with colored electrical tape. This is required to indicate the white is hot. I like to use the black liquid tape which forms a tough rubber bond.
    I've literally never seen somebody do that for a simple outlet or appliance. Now, if you had splices or were sharing boxes, definitely. But for a simple outlet, anybody who knows what black on the white wire means would also know from the context exactly what it's doing when connected to a 220v breaker or outlet.

So I don't know if I'd call it "critical," but this is a valid point, as from googling it's apparently required by code in most places. Good catch.

Brandon, you mentioned putting in a subpanel. I think that would be the best solution and then run all your wiring in surface mounted conduit. A couple of books from the library or some youtube videos could walk you through the installation. As John said, expand your search area. A road trip could be fun. As to lathe size, join your local turning club. Go to peoples shops. Woodturners love to show off their shops and lathes. As a plus, you can try out different lathes. I currently have six lathes, a Oneway 2436, two Oneway 1224's, a Jet 1221vs, a Jet 1220 and a Robust Liberty. I actually turn more on the Oneway 1224. I save the big lathe for platters and wall hangings. My girlfriend uses the Robust more than I do. In fact, she likes it so much she got one for herself. I guess this is my long winded way of saying for you to try many different lathes.
    Joe