Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving up on country music for Bluegrass

Giving up on country music for Bluegrass

For the past 7-8 years my Sirius radio has been tuned to Bluegrass Junction because I just haven't heard much of any new, "real" country music anywhere else.

i had some hope for country music when Jamey Johnson, and Chris Stapleton (originally a bluegrass singer, The Steeldrivers) started making a little head way. And Aaron Lewis has a good country record out right now. But it's SO hard to find honest country music these days.

I never thought I'd hear drum machines and synthesizers in country music, but the 120 beats-per-minute thumping of today's kiddie pop/country has killed it for me.

I miss Waylon...

End of lament..... now, get off my lawn!

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I totally agree. While setting up one of my online passwords - the user support lady asked for a security question.
    I chose the category "Favorite musician" I answered "Merle Haggard" she asked "Who's that?" sigh...

I remember, back before television, my uncles would sit around the radio on Sat. night and try to tune in WSM and the Grand Ole Opry. We were in Ohio and getting WSM wasn't always a sure thing on our old vac tube radio. anyway Roy Acuff, Earnest Tubb and I think, Red Foley, were the stars of the day. This was in the 40's.

I'm not a fan of today's country but I have Hank and Patsy on a flash drive in my car. Johnny Cash could get it done too.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

If you like Bluegrass...don't overlook the work that Steve Martin (yes, THAT Steve Martin) has done over the past few years. He got really serious about the banjo, has an excellent band and has several albums out, some featuring the lovely Edie Brickel on vocals.

There still are some folks doing more traditional country music, but the biggest part of the industry has moved more cross-over. That's what sells. I personally like it all. Some young artists to keep your eye on are Scotty McCleary (Idol Winner) and Kree Harrison (also Idol alumni). Both tend toward more traditional country the majority of the time.

I'm not a big country music person, but have added a lot of it to my song collection over the past few years as it goes well with the singer-songwriter and alternative stuff I listen to the most when I'm shuffling songs on long drives.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Speaking of Steve Martin, we saw the Steep Canyon Rangers, sans Steve Martin, the other weekend. We've seen them several times and they're always good. My favorite bluegrass band, however, is the Del McCoury Band. If you haven't heard them it would be worth your while to listen to their album : Cold Hard Facts, but most all of their albums are very good.

Blog Entries
    Makes me think of an old friend who said, "I listen to both kinds of music, country and western."

There is some C & W to which I can listen. Blue grass more so, also like Dixieland Jazz and Jug Band along with a lot of others. My shop mix is a fairly eclectic mix with performers like... While typing out my play list it occurred to me it would be easier to post images:

Music 1.pngMusic 2.pngMusic 3.pngMusic 4.pngMusic 5.pngMusic 6.png

There are other playlists on the iPod. This is the one listened to most often in the shop. Sometimes it is switched for a list with just Boogie & Blues, Piano or Ragtime if the mood hits. The above list has a bit of everything other than Christmas music which has a couple of playlists on their own.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Steve Martin has been a serious banjo player since the 1970s, at least. I remember him picking on the old Mike Douglas show and David Letterman always had him perform. He founded a bluegrass banjo award where the annual winner gets something like $50,000. He's an amazing performer and supporter of the art form.

Some of my favorite bluegrass performers on the newer end of the timeline include:

Balsam Range
    Junior Sisk
    Blue Highway
    Cadillac Sky
    Otis Gibbs
    Ronnie Bowman
    Steeldrivers
    Dave Adkins
    Kenny and Amanda Smith

By the way - can I get some love for really great Songwriters/Performers whose music actually has something important to say and makes you FEEL something or actually THINK for a second?

Lyle Lovett
    Ray Wylie Hubbard
    James McMurtry
    Drive By Truckers
    Randy Newman
    Dawes
    and
    Billy Joe Shaver

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Balzonia View Post
    For the past 7-8 years my Sirius radio has been tuned to Bluegrass Junction because I just haven't heard much of any new, "real" country music anywhere else.

i had some hope for country music when Jamey Johnson, and Chris Stapleton (originally a bluegrass singer, The Steeldrivers) started making a little head way. And Aaron Lewis has a good country record out right now. But it's SO hard to find honest country music these days.

I never thought I'd hear drum machines and synthesizers in country music, but the 120 beats-per-minute thumping of today's kiddie pop/country has killed it for me.

I miss Waylon...

End of lament..... now, get off my lawn!
    "But I don't think Hank done it this way........"

Gave up on "country " years ago. Bluegrass Junction and Willie's Roadhouse. We like Nothin Fancy, Russel Moore & III Tyme out, Dry Branch Fire Squad, on and on. We saw Dry Branch Fire Squad at a local church last night for $15.00 a ticket and everyone was quite and listened.

Blog Entries
    I have at least 4 XM country stations as favorites including bluegrass junction.

We moved to Mountain City,TN last year and one surprise is the wealth of local Bluegrass talent. Ar our theater in town (Heritage Hall) we have seen the Krueger brothers ( Swiss born bluegrass musicians) Carson Peters ( 13 year old fiddle phenom) and others.

Gotta mention Wayne Henderson, who builds top notch guitars and is an excellent guitar player.

There is a service group called JAM, Junior Appalachian Musicians, that encourages kids to learn to play bluegrass music.

Blog Entries
    I have some Bluegrass tools.

I can’t resist recommending my hometown’s International Bluegrass Music Museum.

http://www.bluegrassmuseum.org/