Thread: My Entries to the Oc Fair

My Entries to the Oc Fair

I entered three boxes a Claro Walnut Treasure chest with a coopered lid.
    My highly figured White Oak Horned Box
    And last but not least a White Oak box with some curl and Horns.
    Even though i didn't win any prizes making these pieces gave me new ideas for a Hall table.
    Thanks for checking them out comments welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Nice work Andrew. OC Fair? Orange County? Do you show stuff down in Del Mar also?

Nice work. Especially like the coopered lid. Wish you'd post a build thread on that beauty! (Hint!)

all 3 are lovely, but the coopered lid one is graceful for a box of it's size. Good job
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Really lovely work! That arch-top box is stunning!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agreed, very nice work. Do you have any pics of what did win? They must be something if none of yours did.

John

Those look nice, Andrew. I didn't go to the fair this year so I didn't see any of the entries. Glad you posted your work.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks guys for the comments. I didn't get to see the other entries in the division I entered.Its very competitive so just getting chosen to display my work there is a honor.
    Frederick S asked about a progress build. Maybe someday if I can find someone to follow me.
    Thanks again
    Aj

The competition must have been stiff. Lovely work and I too would enjoy threads following your future builds.

B est,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I agree that the claro walnut with coopered lid is a stunner, but what grabbed my eye was the bead on the base and feet. If you did that with hand tools I'd be obliged to hear about the process.

Beautiful work! The coopered top is very pleasing to the eye. Nice proportions and finish.

Jim

The claro walnut with coopered lid is very nice. The cockbeading on the base is a great touch. Excellent craftsmanship. I'd like to see a build thread on that one as well.

Darren

I think those are all very nice, but I'm going to have to say my favorite is also the one with the coopered lid. Very nicely done! Do the judges provide you any feedback as to what they didn't score highly enough for you to place (ribbon)? Ie: things to work on, improve?

I didn't get to meet the judges. Only first place ribbons get invited to the judges walk. I bet if would have added trays to the inside I could have done better.
    I was really satisfied with the piece and will keep in my personal collection until I get tired of looking at it. Then I'll put it up for sale.

Thanks for all the nice comments
    Aj

Just saw the post Andrew. They all look great, but I am truly impressed by your splitting that narrow dovetail for the lid on the coopered box. Impressive.

Rick P
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.