I have a wooden jack I posted about a few months back. I did nothing more than camber / sharpen the blade and true the sole when I got it. It has turned into by far my favorite plane all around but in particular for rough dimensioning, until a few days ago when the handle snapped...

I was using it as normal and went to lessen the cutting depth by striking it where the strike button would normally be. My usual routine is to hold it from the underside in my Palm (in the middle) and whack it with a mallet.

So all was good until the handle snapped off across the grain about midway up while adjusting. So I just glued it back in place and used some tape to hold it down. Fast forward to last night. Went out tested the glue joint and was planing away as normal. Adjusted the iron a few times all was good. Another half hour goes by went to adjust the iron again and handle snaps off, again across the grain but this time below the fixed portion, right at the base.

Sorry for the long story, but I'm just curious am I holding the plane wrong or something when adjusting? Why the hell did it snap again and not even at the glue joint?

Thanks,
Michael.