Thread: Opinions please- Castle TSM21 or Kreg DK1100 pocket hole machine

Opinions please- Castle TSM21 or Kreg DK1100 pocket hole machine

So I've researched at nauseam and can't decide. I'm looking to upgrade from my older metal version of the Kreg Foreman to a larger machine. I'm comfortable with the Kreg style pocket but I like the idea of the Castle machine although I've never used one.
    Anyone out there used both and have a preference?

love my castle machine. lower, angle so less movement when you screw the joint. but i still use a kreg hole if i plan on having the hole visible because of their plastic hole covers.
    it is a bit more complex as it uses two routers as opposed to one stepped drill bit. but it's problem free for 6 or 7 years.

I've had my TSM21 for 3 years now. I bought it second hand from a cabinet shop that went belly up so I have no idea how much it was used before I got it. Nice thing is the customer service folks at Castle are absolutely AWESOME if you ever find you need help. I needed a part and I wasn't even sure what was wrong but they talked me through the diagnosis - sent the part - told me how to install it (took every bit of 5 minutes) and I was off to the races. Nice thing is they haven't changed the design in forever and you can buy any part you need directly. Absolutely flawless holes with no fuzz, super fast (< 2 seconds per hole) and much easier assembly than with Kreg style orientation. Castle sells inserts for the pocket but it's really not economical but for special circumstances. Absolutely no regrets. Best CL find ever for me by a mile. I was looking for the metal foreman when I found the Castle but figured I couldn't afford to get it. Just caught the guy at the right time as he had to remove his stuff from the warehouse it was stored in quickly. I see them on CL about once a year and would not be a bit scared of used. They aren't complicated machines and are tough as nails.
    Last edited by Rick Alexander; 08-17-2017 at 10:54 AM.

I worked with a TSM21 for several years. It's a great machine except when it needs fixed. The lower angle pocket helps a lot to improve registration. The semi-automatic cycle depends on light duty burglar alarm style permanent magnets as limit switches. When they loose strength their position has to be adjusted by trial and error, and the build makes that as easy as changing spark plugs on a Chevy Vega. We kept a batch of the magnets on hand. Another problem we encountered was dirt getting into the air valve solenoids. The machine really needs its own filter as the stacked solenoids are a pain to get at.

I use a manually operated Porter Cable (rebadged Castle TSM11)- a bit slower but simpler to maintain. Mine came with a downcut spiral bit which makes a far cleaner crossgrain cut than the standard bits.

Thanks for the input. I ended up finding a used Castle locally for a good price. The guy had just replaced the main router so I felt pretty good about it. I set it up today and ran some test pieces, so far I'm very impressed. Tweaked a few things and ordered a couple bits from Castle to have on hand.
    I'll give it a good workout next week and report back.
    Thanks again