Thread: Laguna C-Flux vs. Jet cyclone equivalent

Laguna C-Flux vs. Jet cyclone equivalent

Can anyone provide information on a comparison between the current Laguna C-Flux and the Jet cyclone unit? Both are around 1400-1500, both 2 hp. I want to do a proper dust collection setup and upgrade from my shop vac with a dust deputy and I'm considering these units.

Thanks for any info.

There are three different C-Flux cyclones. Which do you mean?
    And while you're being more specific, which Jet machine do you mean?

You're quite right - I'm looking at the C-Flux 2hp 1 micron cyclone (Laguna item mdccf22201) and the Jet 2hp cyclonic two stage (jet item 717520). Both look about the same, with a slight price advantage to the Jet. I can't seem to find real data on them, but loads of data on single stage units. I looked at several Oneida models as well but they're routinely higher priced especially when you throw in the stand, etc.

Any input appreciated.

Just as a note....both of these are very similar and have fairly short cones. A number of people have reported that they do not do a very good job of separation and too much dust gets to the filter. However, if you do not have very much headroom, it may be OK.

If you look at the previous model of Laguna cyclones you will notice they are practically identical to the current Jet models. That is because like most imported dust collectors (machinery in general) they are made by the same company and the branded for the final retailer. Not to say there are different options for motors etc., but the designs are the same. This comes from a DC manufacturer who told me (after they left the DC market) that their DC was made next to the green and red ones.

So Laguna now has a fresh model and you can see comparisons of the old and new Laguna's show the new are better performers. So comparing Jet and Laguna, Laguna should win. However as Larry already stated, neither are good performers because of the short cone. They physically can not perform as well as a taller cyclone. So unless there is a height restriction, your money is better spent on a taller cyclone.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you do.

Carl

Does this mean that the Grizzly G0440 is the same more or less?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Kona View Post
    If you look at the previous model of Laguna cyclones you will notice they are practically identical to the current Jet models. That is because like most imported dust collectors (machinery in general) they are made by the same company and the branded for the final retailer. Not to say there are different options for motors etc., but the designs are the same. This comes from a DC manufacturer who told me (after they left the DC market) that their DC was made next to the green and red ones.

So Laguna now has a fresh model and you can see comparisons of the old and new Laguna's show the new are better performers. So comparing Jet and Laguna, Laguna should win. However as Larry already stated, neither are good performers because of the short cone. They physically can not perform as well as a taller cyclone. So unless there is a height restriction, your money is better spent on a taller cyclone.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you do.

Carl

William,

Oneida, CV and Grizzly have their own designs. Although Grizzly is imported it appears to be a unique design. It also is much taller at almost 8'. Now I can't speak for the single stage DCs.

Hope that helps and let us know what you do.

Carl

Hi William, I recently purchased the Jet 2HP cyclone and can confirm that it doesn't do a good job of keeping dust out of the filter. But height restrictions limited me to just a few machines. I've only filled its bin twice, so my limited experience tells me that each bin fills the dust catch bag by about 1/6. Not a big deal to me but likely not idea for a high-volume shop.

The Grizzly G0440 looks to have a much taller cone than the Jet.

Thanks David, good to have hands-on info.

I'm leaning G0440 now. I'm not dazzled by the price jump to add the stand though. But, a good price is a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    Hi William, I recently purchased the Jet 2HP cyclone and can confirm that it doesn't do a good job of keeping dust out of the filter. But height restrictions limited me to just a few machines. I've only filled its bin twice, so my limited experience tells me that each bin fills the dust catch bag by about 1/6. Not a big deal to me but likely not idea for a high-volume shop.

The Grizzly G0440 looks to have a much taller cone than the Jet.

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    .. I'm not dazzled by the price jump to add the stand though. ...
    You can build your own stand. A few 2x4s, some screws, and an hour's labor. Easy.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/182717169927

Found that today. Maybe it will help you if you are close.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I ended up calling Oneida to talk about one of their systems and had a nice conversation with a guy called Mike. I explained my shop size (cough...2 car garage), what machines I had hoped to pipe in, etc, and despite being completely willing to sell me a huge system he explained that the mini gorilla unit would likely suit my needs without any issues. So I've ordered that and I'll skip doing all the hard piping. I will only be running one tool at a time anyway, so this should work for me. I got to see one locally and I think this will work. Between buying a single stage and throwing on a super dust deputy and building a cart or some other mobile base, or buying one of the two stage entry level offerings (all of which seem to have a crowd complaining about them), this was a good deal, and all on wheels, etc.

Hello,
    I am in the process of choosing a new dc also.
    How goes it with the mini gorilla? I am down to the mini gorilla or the new laguna 1.5 cflux. Bout the same money. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks

Jerry, I bought the CFlux:1 a couple of months ago. It has worked great in my small, basement shop. I have asthma and it has made a world of difference over my old shopvac/dust separator solution.

Scott