Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Jointer Should I Purchase?

Question Which Jointer Should I Purchase?

Hi,

I am quite new to woodworking and was looking to get a jointer. There are about 2 I am trying to choose from as I need the jointer asap. (Located in Calgary, AB)
    Here is the used one that I found: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/c...ationFlag=true
    And here is one from Busy Bee Tools I was considering getting: http://www.busybeetools.com/products...csa-cx06n.html

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

$800 for a 6" jointer is insane.

Welcome to our reality Cary. It would be $630 in US funds if that makes it any more palatable.

Welcome to the forum Graham. Check out KMS tools. They have a store in Calgary so you can at least compare to the Busy Bee one. They might price match.

Neither is a good deal IMO. I would think there would be more available in/around Calgary than that. Anyway, which jointer you should get is almost always at least one size bigger than you think you need, so if you are looking at 6" ones you likely will want an 8" one within a year so just buy one of those instead. I started at 10" and now have a 14", and still wish it was wider. How anyone but a toy maker makes due with 6" is a mystery to me, unless you never plan to use rough lumber. In that case, sure, 6" might be enough.

John

Yeah I might just have to wait then it seems whenever I want a certain tools its not on Kijiji and then after I get it there are multiple on there. Definitely want to make a long lasting investment on the jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Neither is a good deal...
    This. Watch for a quality used one. My older Powermatic 8" I bought for $700 with mobile base.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

it sure depends on what you will be making. I have been a woodworker for over 30 yrs, and make custom furniture, I have my trusty 30 yr old 6" delta. I have never needed bigger. So think carefully about what your plans are, then get what will do what you need.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I think the vast majority of people would say bigger is better. I'd widen my search radius a bit and expand how you are looking. Search craigslist for example and check local papers.

Matt we don't have craigslist. Also for what is worth Calgary is one of only two cities in Alberta with over one million people. Graham it is very easy to find a deal on a 6'' jointer on kijiji. They are on there constantly,however 8" jointers are more rare. I would suggest buying a 6" in the 300 dollar range and use it for now until an 8'' comes up then sell the six.The one you found is an average price maybe slightly high. I see used rockwell six inch jointers on every month or so for about 300. Also check out KMS frequently they sell used stuff in the back corner of the store. Also do not be afraid to drive I have bought stuff in Red Deer,Clive,Didsbury,etc. Good luck, Mike.

In Canada, Wadkin and General would be the big names. General in particular made a good 8" jointer in single phase if you can locate one. Dave

Graham, I just checked out kijiji. If a six jointer is going to work out to be all you need there is a Canadian made general for $520. Also there is a rigid in Airdrie for $380.You could probably get that one for $300. The steel city 8'' jointer at $ 1400 is ridiculous . They were $1200 new,and are no longer made.There is a lot of real good advice on this thread,what Michelle says about a six inch machine working for her needs and everyone else with the "bigger is better'' camp . I think back to starting out in this world of buying tools and how much I needed and all those endless decisions. I figure it is like buying your first computer you have to" jump on the train somewhere" and figure it out from there.Hope this helps,Mike.

Awesome thanks so much Mike!

I had a few more thoughts: The few times I did need more width, I took the porkchop off and put the board thru and then spun it and jointed the remainder. Very safe process if done with a spacer under the jointed face on 2nd trip thru. The other consideration is space. How big is your shop? I do not have room for a tool that has a top like an aircraft carrier landing zone. Do you? ..and lastly, one can use a carrier board and put wider boards thru a planer. Takes more time, but keeps the footprint of tools in your shop low.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

According the Craigslist you do. I did a search for jointer in Calgary and nothing came up, but in the surrounding are there is an 8" Grizzly listed at $775 along with some other really nice stuff.

https://kalispell.craigslist.org/tls...249909332.html

Sold my jointer years ago. Now have a CNC router. I can easily flatten 4 foot wide X 8 long. Takes a bit longer, but then I can do all sorts of other things with the machine, cut tenons, mortises, carve, 3d carve, make parts with big curves easily, etc.

If you are a hobbyist you should look for tools that will give you the biggest bang for your buck. Oh? Did I mention, you can also straighten the edges on the CNC.

Jointers are something out of the 18th century.