Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 1/2 hp Oneida with cyclone vs 2hp grizzly dust collector. Which should I keep??

  1. #1

    1/2 hp Oneida with cyclone vs 2hp grizzly dust collector. Which should I keep??

    I recently bought a used 1-1/2HP Oneida dust collector with a built in cyclone and 12in impeller(stock photo attached since its an older model/style) . I also came across a used 2HP grizzly G1029Z2P with 12 3/4 impeller. each one were under $100.

    The one I keep will be connected to 6in ducts and I will also modify the exhaust with an external Wynn type cartridge filter. I included a stock photo of the oneida so you have an idea of what it looks like. the grizzly is a typical bag type collector. My Oneida does not have the external cartridge filter as displayed in the photo. It does include everything from top to bottom to the left of the exhaust. It has an internal filter but I will remove it to modify it to look like the one in the photo if I decide to keep it.

    If I keep the Grizzly instead then I will buy a super dust deputy and cartridge filter. Which would be better unit to keep?

    I also posted this when I was getting all the info regarding the Oneida
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...llector-for-60

    IMG194-main.jpg

  2. #2
    I have that same Oneida unit, have for the pst 17 years or so. It's been trouble free except for the inside filter, which I should convert to the outside version, just haven't ever gotten around to it. You do need to replace/refresh the seals between the band clamps on occasion, I use Neoprene weather stripping and have found that to work pretty well.

    My vote is Oneida over anything from China.... the aspect of longevity in the motor is worth it alone.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Posts
    115
    Can you separate the Oneida blower from the cyclone and attach the Grizzly to it?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    I have that same Oneida unit, have for the pst 17 years or so. It's been trouble free except for the inside filter, which I should convert to the outside version, just haven't ever gotten around to it. You do need to replace/refresh the seals between the band clamps on occasion, I use Neoprene weather stripping and have found that to work pretty well.

    My vote is Oneida over anything from China.... the aspect of longevity in the motor is worth it alone.
    Thanks for the input

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    Can you separate the Oneida blower from the cyclone and attach the Grizzly to it?
    I can detach the cyclone for sure but not sure how to attach it to the grizzly.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Posts
    115
    Strickly shooting from the hip, because I don't know what the Grizzly looks like, but I would try to fit a 3/4-inch plywood disk into the top of the cyclone where the Oneida blower was. The disk could be secured by screws through the cyclone housing, and then run a bead of silicone sealant around the perimeter of the cyclone where it joins with the plywood to make the top airtight. Then cut a hole in the center of the plywood disc to connect to the Grizzly blower. Maybe cut the hole first so you can also run a bead of silicone on the inside joint of the cyclone.

    I am mounting my Bernardo blower to the top of my Oneida Super Dust Deputy Cyclone. The input duct for the blower just fits inside the suction port on the cyclone, and I will seal it with silicone and/or metallic tape for ductwork. I have to build a frame to support the cyclone and the blower assembly separately so the joint doesn't become a load-bearing part of the dust collector.

    Update: After looking at the 2HP Grizzly DC, it looks like the 2HP blower is very similar to the 3HP Bernardo blower I have. If you cut the hole in the plywood sheet so it is an interference fit for the round 6-inch Grizzly connection (get rid of the Y connector), you should have a good fit.
    Last edited by Mike Kreinhop; 08-12-2017 at 3:14 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    Strickly shooting from the hip, because I don't know what the Grizzly looks like, but I would try to fit a 3/4-inch plywood disk into the top of the cyclone where the Oneida blower was. The disk could be secured by screws through the cyclone housing, and then run a bead of silicone sealant around the perimeter of the cyclone where it joins with the plywood to make the top airtight. Then cut a hole in the center of the plywood disc to connect to the Grizzly blower. Maybe cut the hole first so you can also run a bead of silicone on the inside joint of the cyclone.

    I am mounting my Bernardo blower to the top of my Oneida Super Dust Deputy Cyclone. The input duct for the blower just fits inside the suction port on the cyclone, and I will seal it with silicone and/or metallic tape for ductwork. I have to build a frame to support the cyclone and the blower assembly separately so the joint doesn't become a load-bearing part of the dust collector.

    Update: After looking at the 2HP Grizzly DC, it looks like the 2HP blower is very similar to the 3HP Bernardo blower I have. If you cut the hole in the plywood sheet so it is an interference fit for the round 6-inch Grizzly connection (get rid of the Y connector), you should have a good fit.
    sure, I understand what you mean. You suggest using the grizzly because of the 1/2 hp larger motor and 3/4 in larger impeller?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Klein View Post
    sure, I understand what you mean. You suggest using the grizzly because of the 1/2 hp larger motor and 3/4 in larger impeller?
    Yes, but the size of the blower should be matched to your application. However, since you have both items, why not take the best pieces of both and make a better system...assuming the Grizzly blower is a good match for the Oneida cyclone.

    I originally had a 2HP system very similar to the Grizzly to mate with my Oneida cyclone, and exchanged it for a 3HP blower assembly. The diameter of the 3HP impeller isn't much larger than the 2HP version, but the 3HP impeller housing is thicker and the blades are almost twice as high. My cyclone will accept up to a 3HP blower, so I decided to make the change while I'm still in the fabrication stage.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    Yes, but the size of the blower should be matched to your application. However, since you have both items, why not take the best pieces of both and make a better system...assuming the Grizzly blower is a good match for the Oneida cyclone.

    I originally had a 2HP system very similar to the Grizzly to mate with my Oneida cyclone, and exchanged it for a 3HP blower assembly. The diameter of the 3HP impeller isn't much larger than the 2HP version, but the 3HP impeller housing is thicker and the blades are almost twice as high. My cyclone will accept up to a 3HP blower, so I decided to make the change while I'm still in the fabrication stage.

    How would I know if it is good match? How can I tell if my Oneida cyclone would work with the 2 hp grizzly?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Klein View Post
    How would I know if it is good match? How can I tell if my Oneida cyclone would work with the 2 hp grizzly?
    I can't help with that, but I'm sure someone at Oneida can answer that question. They were spot on with the answers to my questions, aside from telling me it was impossible to mail the steel cyclone to my APO address (they were really wrong on that answer).

    Update: I looked at two Oneida DC systems:

    1.5HP V-1500 HEPA

    2HP V-2000 HEPA

    From what I can see in the online documentation, the cyclone separator for both units is the same. The cyclone also looks like the same used with the 3HP and 5HP systems.
    Last edited by Mike Kreinhop; 08-12-2017 at 7:27 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    I can't help with that, but I'm sure someone at Oneida can answer that question. They were spot on with the answers to my questions, aside from telling me it was impossible to mail the steel cyclone to my APO address (they were really wrong on that answer).

    Update: I looked at two Oneida DC systems:

    1.5HP V-1500 HEPA

    2HP V-2000 HEPA

    From what I can see in the online documentation, the cyclone separator for both units is the same. The cyclone also looks like the same used with the 3HP and 5HP systems.

    I've seen the new ones as well but I'm not sure if the cyclone designs are the same. I'm sure it can work though

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •