Thread: Tips For Shop Wiring?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    One main point - Most receptacles should be at approx 42".

Here's the point - You want to be above any work surface height, and BELOW cabinets or shelves above the work surfaces. Marc
    To add to this concept, rip all your lower OSB sheets into a 42” and a 6” strip (or a 8” or 12” strip, etc.). If you take approach #1 or #2, all your outlets can be installed in the strip, and this is the only section you need to screw in to be able to access. It will be much easier to mark and do cutouts in the narrow strip, and you can cut 3 sided openings. Always easy to add more/larger runs later by dropping down from above through the stud bays.

This is is my plan for my next shop.
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gonzalez View Post
    To add to this concept, rip all your lower OSB sheets into a 42” and a 6” strip (or a 8” or 12” strip, etc.). If you take approach #1 or #2, all your outlets can be installed in the strip, and this is the only section you need to screw in to be able to access. It will be much easier to mark and do cutouts in the narrow strip, and you can cut 3 sided openings. Always easy to add more/larger runs later by dropping down from above through the stud bays.

This is is my plan for my next shop.
    50" to the bottom of the box makes much more sense for receptacles and switches in a shop. That way sheet goods can be leaned against the walls without blocking the devices.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    50" to the bottom of the box makes much more sense for receptacles and switches in a shop. That way sheet goods can be leaned against the walls without blocking the devices.
    What is this concept? I don't think I have enough wall space anywhere in the shop wide enough to lean a folding chair against it!

JKJ

I just finished my shop. I had the electrical sub put all of the 110 outlets around 48" above the floor with the wiring run behind the wall, and also wire in two 30 amp 240 outlets so I would have temporary power. The walls are 1/2" OSB, as are the ceilings. The panel is 200 amp, surface mount for easy access. Once I finalized all of the equipment locations I ran the 240 power to each machine location in surface mount PVC, mostly 1/2" but one 3/4" for the widebelt 50 amp outlet.