Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workshop Layout options pictures attached.

Workshop Layout options pictures attached.

So I have begun bringing in equipment into my new shop and now and reconsidering the layout that I had initially planned... Not too much has changed but I have two layout options that I would like some feedback on. my shop is 24x26 and is also used for some garage storage, hence the shelves on the left hand side near the dust collector, this takes away a lot of useful wall space... but it is either a garage with some shop stuff in it or a shop with some garage stuff in it, I prefer the latter... I already have my L shaped bench and cabinets up, my bandsaw, scroll saw, lumber rack, air compressor, and dust collector are also in place. shop layout plan 2.jpgshop layout plan 1.jpgshop layout plan 3.jpgshop layout plan option 2 #1.jpgshop layout plan option 2 #2.jpgshop layout plan option 2 #3.jpg

I'm assuming that in pics 4-6, the jointer fence can be removed so that you have some space to the left side of the saw for wide material or long boards when crosscutting? If so, the position of the table saw looks a lot better as you have more working room at the front. Pics 1-3 look too tight to me for the saw. If the planer, and router table aren't mobile, I'd be tempted to change that to give more working space as all of the pics look tight for space around the machines

I would relocate the dust collector in a corner, probably where the lumber rack is. Next since you need storage, what about putting most of the storage under the long L shaped bench or rebuild the miter saw stand and place what you can under it. It just seems fairly cramped and you could have a flow issue. The other thing would be move the jointer to the far right of the table saw. Don't forget about the vertical space near the ceiling for storage.

Aaron,

I'd like to help but only you can determine what works best for you. Keeping milling machines together is, of course necessary, the rest really depends on the type of work you do. For example if you deal with sheet goods a lot, that creates certain requirements like material storage/transport. Mobile bases gives the necessary flexibility to try diff layouts. Bottom line, I think you have to get some projects going and tweak it.

My suggestion to all guys with garage/workshops is to put all the garage stuff in a storage shed, if feasible.

Dittos on locating the DC in a corner. Better yet, a closet on the outside, again, if feasible & won't cause neighbor problems.

Material storage, at least for me, can create a headache. I ended up building an addition on my shop just for lumber storage and I still have lumber leaning against the wall in several places all over the shop.

Blog Entries
    Your miter saw should be behind your work bench. Try to figure a circle with flow. Start to finish...

Work...IMG_0241.jpg
    Last edited by jack duren; 06-10-2017 at 9:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron carter View Post
    So I have begun bringing in equipment into my new shop and now and reconsidering the layout that I had initially planned... Not too much has changed but I have two layout options that I would like some feedback on. my shop is 24x26 and is also used for some garage storage, hence the shelves on the left hand side near the dust collector, this takes away a lot of useful wall space... but it is either a garage with some shop stuff in it or a shop with some garage stuff in it, I prefer the latter... I already have my L shaped bench and cabinets up, my bandsaw, scroll saw, lumber rack, air compressor, and dust collector are also in place. shop layout plan 2.jpgshop layout plan 1.jpgshop layout plan 3.jpgshop layout plan option 2 #1.jpgshop layout plan option 2 #2.jpgshop layout plan option 2 #3.jpg
    Good fun!

Something (scroll saw?) looks in the way of where I would stand to use the bandsaw. Maybe swap places?

JKJ

Working space constraints, I'd consider limiting all those built-ins to a minimum so you have the space to both mill the materials as well as assemble and finish the projects. Keep less frequently used tools mobile and any "permanent" storage up on the wall to maximize floor space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    I'm assuming that in pics 4-6, the jointer fence can be removed so that you have some space to the left side of the saw for wide material or long boards when crosscutting? If so, the position of the table saw looks a lot better as you have more working room at the front. Pics 1-3 look too tight to me for the saw. If the planer, and router table aren't mobile, I'd be tempted to change that to give more working space as all of the pics look tight for space around the machines
    The jointer fence does not come off. Most of my crosscut ting will occur at the miter saw and any large sheet goods will likely be broken down with a track saw so that they are more manageable. I am not a fan of cutting 4x8 sheets on a table saw unless absolutely necessary. I agree with you though that it is a little tight for the saw which is why I am really having a hard time deciding where to put things.

I originally did have the dust collector in the corner but there were two problems with this set up. #1 was that I would have to go around the perimeter along the wall to avoid hitting my 6 pairs of 8ft led lights on the ceiling. #2 this would cause me to use a lot of 90 degree elbows which would restrict flow and cfm on the 1.5 hp motor. Where I have it allows me to have one single branch with one 45 degree branch which significantly increases cfm.

The shelves that are along the left wall have to stay as they are our only other garage storage for many miscellaneous things. I could on one hand compromise and completely remove the miter station and move the jointer to the back wall leaving room for crosscuts with the table saw.

There are a lot of things that are tight and unfortunately that is probably just how it is going to be. It is easy to move stuff around as everything except my bandsaw is on a mobile base but setting up my dust collection for where the machines will be takes much more time to redo.

I find that keeping the drill press close to the workbench to be very handy. I also like to have the chop or RAS close to the bench, if you are doing fussy fitting, running across the shop to do a cut gets old in about 5 minutes.

so i spent a few more hours considering the suggestions that you guys made, which I really appreciate, and came up with two more plans based on some of the suggestions. I also replaced the scroll saw with something that represents mine to scale. the previous one was much larger representation than my hegner 18". shop layout plan 4 #1.jpgshop layout plan 5 #1.jpgshop layout plan 5 #2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron carter View Post
    so i spent a few more hours considering the suggestions that you guys made, which I really appreciate, and came up with two more plans based on some of the suggestions. I also replaced the scroll saw with something that represents mine to scale. the previous one was much larger representation than my hegner 18". shop layout plan 4 #1.jpgshop layout plan 5 #1.jpgshop layout plan 5 #2.jpg
    Much better space at the bandsaw.

Have you run that cyclone? Mine (ClearVue 5hp) is so loud I can't imagine working comfortably with it in the shop. I built a 4x8 closet to reduce the sound from it and the big air compressor and now I can even talk to someone with it running. You might want to consider squeezing in an extra foot or so of space in the plan to build around yours if you find it necessary.

JKJ

Not sure I like any of the new plans better than the last 3 of your first set :-) For dust collection on your mobile machines, rather than trying to hard plumb them in, I'd just have a central drop somewhere that can be used for all of them (could use the saw's drop). Makes working a bit slower but not much, and you'll be able to push all the mobile units together until you need one, which gives you a lot more space for the saw

Ever think about doing the lumber storage above the chop saw?

You should do the cabinets AFTER you position the machines. For instance, you could have the TS against the wall and cabinets running up to it from either side. Parking a TS in the middle of a shop works well right up until you have a bunch of other stuff against the walls. If it were me? I would see about getting a storage shed and putting the garage stuff in there.

Man - this thread has been fantastic for me. So glad the OP is taking some of the suggestions and supplying us the the sketches.
    I have learned a lot and will be doing a whole shop re-org some time next year.

I understand space constraints, having a basement shop. I'm concerned about the lack of space to the left of the miter saw. I'm assuming you are right handed (I think I have a 89% shot of that being correct..) and I think most right handers would hold work with their left hand on the MS. So, when you get the 6' to 8' piece of lumber to trim an end on (it's inevitable..) it's going to be awkward.

Since you have another workbench, may I suggest you incorporate your MS bench into your L-shaped bench such that you have plenty of work support to both sides of the saw?

Also, I would suggest putting your jointer and planer on mobile bases, to roll to the side to open up space in the center of the shop when you need to manage some larger pieces.

Your router table could be incorporated into your table saw top as well. Whether that's a sensible move depends on what kind of work you will do most often.

Do you have a need to store sheet goods? Even storing cut offs of sheet goods can be a challenge.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher